starting strength gym
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: assistance shoulder exercises relevant for racquet swings

Default assistance shoulder exercises relevant for racquet swings

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Rip, would you have advice for what assistance shoulder exercises would be relevant to racquet sport swings?

e.g. for backhand motion
    e.g. for forehand motion

Thanks.

The most important assistance exercises for racquet swings are: squats, presses, deadlifts, bench presses, and power cleans.

also make sure you do standing cable lateral raises with the thumb pointed down

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    The most important assistance exercises for racquet swings are: squats, presses, deadlifts, bench presses, and power cleans.
    I bet you could have some code written that would automatically post this answer.

Thumbs down

I figured Rip might have a bot or a macro to handle a question like that.

But really, of the "assistance" exercises in SS3E I thought it might actually be chins.

I'm assuming the racquet sport athlete is in the intermediate stage and is still doing their core exercises (squat, DL, press, PC, BP).

I guess the question could be rephrased: if there are assistance exercises to add onto the core exercises to improve 1) forehand, and 2) backhand strokes, which should come first?

And no, I don't except cables of any type to be involved, especially with the thumb oriented in the following direction:

Quote Originally Posted by byob View Post
    I'm assuming the racquet sport athlete is in the intermediate stage and is still doing their core exercises (squat, DL, press, PC, BP).
    Why would you assume this?

I guess the question could be rephrased: if there are assistance exercises to add onto the core exercises to improve 1) forehand, and 2) backhand strokes, which should come first?
    Why would they be necessary? What about the aforementioned 5 movements fails to strengthen a racquet swing?

Quote Originally Posted by byob View Post
    Rip, would you have advice for what assistance shoulder exercises would be relevant to racquet sport swings?

e.g. for backhand motion
    e.g. for forehand motion

Thanks.
    What are you trying to accomplish with your swing? More power? More endurance?

When I played in college, my biggest problem was leg strength. As a match went on I wasn't getting good knee bend when I hit, which really hurt my accuracy and power. Had I known then what I do now, I would have been hitting the squats pretty hard. The press is pretty helpful in improving the stability of your shoulders as well.

I can't think of any exercise outside of the big five that's gonna make any meaningful difference. Out of the 5 I'd say squats are most important, and bench the least.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Why would you assume this?

Why would they be necessary? What about the aforementioned 5 movements fails to strengthen a racquet swing?
    But...but... BUT SPECIFICITY!

Aside from Rugby and Football I don't think there are many other sports that use the main lifts as part of their weekly routines.

I've worked as a sales manager for both the local soccer and basketball teams, was also on the local swimming team for 3 years, I only saw a proper squat when I first browsed SS.COM.
    I have never seen a proper OHP before SS and have never seen any attempt of a PC performed at the commercial gyms(crossfit just boomed here 2 years ago and WL is scarce)

I am assuming racket ball athletes are also too weak for their own good

starting strength coach development program
    I noticed something very odd about Tennis. I realized that the world's best Tennis players(Serena Williams and Rafael Nadal) are also the strongest tennis players. It just goes on to show you that strength is the most important physical attribute regardless of the sport. Rumor is that Andre Agassi was able to bench press 300 lbs when he returned to Tennis.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast