starting strength gym
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hip Labrum Tear Update

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by bluebutton View Post
    This seems backwards to me. I had hip surgery at 26 and started squatting at 33. I probably have less than optimal anatomy (resulting in the surgery). For safe squatting, I focus on shoving my knees out which takes care of impingement, something explained in the book.

There are many reasons for hip pain that don't involve having cartilage fall apart. Diagnosing my tear included a contrast die being injected into the socket after repeated xrays to get the needle in the right place. Are to seriously suggesting people have xrays by their reproductive organs before getting a simple form check? I don't get it.

I'm basically saying, you have hip pain from squats. Make sure it is not something serious. Sure correct your form but if your bony anatomy is causing the impingement, that probably will only help for a short while and the delay will accelerate the degenerative changes. You don't know what your hip anatomy looks like so go find out.

I'm actually a radiologist and passed my board exam a few months ago, which included extensive studying about radiation physics and safety so I can speak to your second point with some authority. The radiation dose from a pelvic radiograph is tiny and will not result in any increased risk of cancer, infertility, or anything else. Its is about the same as the dose you get from flying across the country 1.5 times.

I have a hip labral tear with impingement confirmed by MRI, but chose not to get surgery and went the PT route. PT cleared up the bursitis, and with regular mobility I have been able to continue training with minimal discomfort.
    One thing I will caution, if you have hip issues and want to continue training you need support. I lift in "loose" Inzer Power Pants, and I swear by them. I am able to keep pushing the weight with out pain. I am going to upgrade to a stronger single ply brief with legs soon, but I would recommend power pants to anyone with hip problems.

What did PT do to clear up the bursitis?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    What did PT do to clear up the bursitis?
    Lots of hamstring and lower back work to improve flexibility and loosen up the IT band. Also worked a lot with bands on the hips to stretch and strengthen. Banded walks really helped.
    Also for reference, Blaine Sumner has a good hip warm up video on youtube that I use often.

In other words, the hip bursitis, an inflammatory injury, "healed" when you deloaded. Because all the PT did was deload you. And you haven't noticed it coming back since you started wearing your Power Panties.

Quote Originally Posted by jfbk View Post
    One thing I will caution, if you have hip issues and want to continue training you need support.
    Why? What is being supported? What is the nature of the effect on the injury of the support?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    In other words, the hip bursitis, an inflammatory injury, "healed" when you deloaded. Because all the PT did was deload you. And you haven't noticed it coming back since you started wearing your Power Panties.
    Basically, deload + placebo I guess. No bustitis since wearing the power pants, and the hip is feeling really stable too. Call it what you want, wearing them is a no brainer for me.

Quote Originally Posted by jfbk View Post
    Call it what you want, wearing them is a no brainer for me.
    I agree completely.

assuming you aren't being sarcastic, Rip, how would you recommend a raw lifter use briefs to mitigate bursitis and prepare for a meet?

starting strength coach development program
    I was being sarcastic.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast