starting strength gym
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Can we have a new rant about how the roll of shame is BAD?

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Quote Originally Posted by danlightbulb View Post
    A spotter isn't an option for many people even in a commercial gym.
    A spotter is always an option. There is no reason you can't ask a stranger to stand there and make sure you don't die. It may be awkward, but you can do it. I've done it many times, as have most forum members.

Every gym I've ever been in has at least one "trainer" responsible for the floor (making sure the weights and other equipment is tidy is usually what they're walking around doing) and they're usually more than happy to provide a spot if you need one.

I've used them a few times when the gym is really slow and I don't want to interrupt the other lifters "workout". I thank them afterwards and have always gotten the same type of reply: "No problem... that's what I'm here for. Let me know if you need another"

Is there a point to be made by posting this video?

A spotter isn't an option for many people even in a commercial gym. In my gym its impossible to set the safeties on the rack to a height to rest the bar under a deflated chest. The next setting up is too high to touch bar on chest each rep. I'd like to know what other options are available for this situation?
    I couldn't get the bar to rest on the pins under a deflated chest either, but it would rest on the pins over my neck since that's still at least an inch lower than my deflated chest.

Bigger arch and gaining some weight worked as well and nowadays I can use the pin setting one notch above (3 inch spacing), so I have two pin settings I can safely bench with.

Quote Originally Posted by Scotto View Post
    If only you could rig chains or tow straps to the exact perfect height....
    If only gyms had flat, sturdy cast iron discs that could be used to raise the bench an inch or so....

No point to be made. It's obviously not an option for the vast majority of people training. I'm just amazed that such a method of failure is even possible. Then again, I can barely even bench 200 lb, so a lot of things amaze me.

Here's a clue: talk to people at the gym whether or not you need a spot. Sure, there's always going to be some bad-ass or serial killer type that you don't want to talk to, but most people on the planet are friendly. I usually work out at home but sometimes go to the gym to see some familiar faces and catch up (and/or get out of the heat or cold).
    If you do that, you will then be asking people you know to spot you.

Quote Originally Posted by anticausal View Post
    Strong guy. Still stupid.

starting strength coach development program
    A spotter isn't an option for many people even in a commercial gym. In my gym its impossible to set the safeties on the rack to a height to rest the bar under a deflated chest. The next setting up is too high to touch bar on chest each rep. I'd like to know what other options are available for this situation?
    Set the safeties so that the bar touches your chest but won't touch your upper chest / neck. If you fail a rep, slowly roll the bar towards your head until the bar is sitting on the safeties. Turn your head to the side and scoot out from under the bar. Unless the holes are 4" apart, you can do this. Just double check to make sure the safeties are where they need to be.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast