starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I might not be able to ever squat due to a hip problem: alternatives?

Default I might not be able to ever squat due to a hip problem: alternatives?

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    I should mention that despite having been working out for years I'm relatively weak and have yet to squat my own bodyweight (only started eating properly this year).

So a couple of weeks ago I started having issues with my hip flexors, in that they would hurt when I reached the bottom of my squat and literally only when I reach the bottom of a squat movement (I bike everywhere and am on my feet all day at work without problems). I went to see a sports doctor and got some x-rays done today and he said that there's a slight imbalance in my hip joints something something square peg round hole kindof situation. It can't be fixed with physiotherapy so I either correct an unseen technique problem or get surgery (which may not be an option).

I'm toying around with alternate foot placements and chiropractic advice on similar problems but I'm concerned that there might not be a solution to this issue, meaning I can't do squats ever. Are there any effective alternatives that I can use to continue progressing with lower body strength (I have no issues performing deadlifts)?

Sex/age/height/bodyweight?

Male/22/5'6/145lbs

I know stretching isn't terribly high on anyone's priority list here, but you might try dedicating 10 minutes per day to hip stretches. Couch stretch and external rotation specifically. Kelly Starrett has a few free videos that quite nicely demonstrate hip work (couch stretch and external rotation) if you can get past the bro-speak. Mark Verstegen also has a good 5-minute warm up routine that works well prior to squatting.

Be sure you're following the squat technique taught in Starting Strength. Specifically, knees out.

If you cycle a lot you may have a strength imbalance (quads/hamstrings) that isn't helping. This is purely speculative, but cycling generally puts so much emphasis on the quads and very little on the hamstrings. Others would be better suited to determine if this would actually cause hip flexor pain when squatting.

Quote Originally Posted by amitai45 View Post
    Male/22/5'6/145lbs
    If you have a femoral head/acetabulum malformation, squats may be a problem, but they're not impossible. I'll let Matt Reynolds address this issue. But post the text of the MRI report anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by DAB View Post
    I know stretching isn't terribly high on anyone's priority list here, but you might try dedicating 10 minutes per day to hip stretches. Couch stretch and external rotation specifically. Kelly Starrett has a few free videos that quite nicely demonstrate hip work (couch stretch and external rotation) if you can get past the bro-speak. Mark Verstegen also has a good 5-minute warm up routine that works well prior to squatting.
    You cannot stretch a bony malformation. I know that "mobility" is quite popular these days, but -- believe it or not -- there are situations in which it is just not appropriate.

The simple reality is, you just do what you can do. I have extreme bilateral hip osteo-arthritis, and because of the way the femoral head grinds bone-on-bone in the acetabulum, then the only way I can reach parallel is with my heels about 3-4" apart, and pushing my knees are really hard, which when coupled with the close stance makes my femur externally rotate more than normal. Its the most hideous looking, god-awful squat on the planet. I also have to squat higher bar, in order to keep the hips "more open" and therefore place the bulk of the moment on the knees (more closed) instead. Certainly not optimal, but better than not squatting at all IMO.

If my hips are particularly inflamed, I'll either take a week off squatting, or box squat to a slightly higher than parallel box to give them a break.

Also, in spite of having an ugly-ass squat, I've still squatted 605 raw in a powerlifting meet in this "frog style."

Deadlifts don't bother me at all, btw.

Eventually I'll get hip replacements, but the reality is, that my hips don't hurt much when I'm just walking/ running/ hiking/ sleeping, etc. Really the things that bother it the most are putting on underwear/pants/ socks/ shoes in the morning, squatting, and making sweet sweet love to my dear wife...which is just another way of saying I have an excuse to lay on my back and make her do all the work. ;-)

Thanks for the help guys, and yeah Mark I'll post the MRI report if/when I end up doing one.

Since my flexors only stop hurting at the very bottom of the movement, I'll try just not going as low (a tiny bit above parallel is how far down I can get without problems). My progression on that lift won't be as great, but since I only do strength training for everyday use and have no competitive aspiration, my only real concern is how badly my inhibited squat will hurt my other lifts.

DAB I do a 10 minute stretching routine as a cooldown after every workout. I'm pretty flexible save for very short hamstrings, which I think might be contributing to the problem. If my ham flexibility ever improves maybe there'll be more room in my hips for full flexion without pain.

Quote Originally Posted by amitai45 View Post
    DAB I do a 10 minute stretching routine as a cooldown after every workout. I'm pretty flexible save for very short hamstrings, which I think might be contributing to the problem.
    Think with me here: Do you, or do you NOT, have a malformed hip?

Alright, I believe I have a malformed hip.

starting strength coach development program
    Bones do not stretch.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast