starting strength gym

Thread: World's Strongest Viking

Default World's Strongest Viking

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Rip, I thought you might enjoy this: Hafþór Júlíus Björnsson, the man that plays the character The Mountain in the Game of Thrones series, broke a record that has been in place for 1,000 years by carrying a 650kg log 5 steps. The following link shows some of his training footage while in Texas. Maybe Texas just makes men stronger, eh?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7A9kkStpzo
    Last edited by Mark Rippetoe; 02-03-2015 at 05:27 PM. Reason: spelling

Drought strengthens.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Drought strengthens.
    Shit if that's true, I'm headed south.

No, it's the Arctic that strengthens. I have to believe that.

I've seen this man in action live. Incredible is not the word. He will win WSM this year I think. He was unlucky not to win it last year.

Hafþór was INCREDIBLE at the 2014 WSM. What a ridiculous specimen. Does anyone not think he was the strongest one there?

As for taking 2nd, he didn't lose because of luck, he lost because he wasn't prepared for the squat event. He came out wearing knee sleeves when his competitors had squat suits and knee wraps. Rookie mistake. He also needs better technique on the truck pull.

With a little better event prep he'll be untouchable in 2015.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave M View Post
    He also needs better technique on the truck pull.
    His unusual truck pull technique has though worked quite well for him. I guess he might be taking advantage of his size weight and lever arms?
    But after this he will probably reconsider his technique.

I was wondering if not wearing a squat suit was a statement that it doesn't belong in that kind of competition (I can agree with that).
    My knowledge on this is limited but I think one must practise using a squat suit. The technique is a bit different. You usually see wider stances in squat suits for example.
    Perhaps he has never tried squatting in a suit? He has never competed in (or practised) equipped powerlifting as far as I know. (but Savickas has)

He weighs 400lbs, at 6'9", and has abs.

Quote Originally Posted by heman View Post
    I was wondering if not wearing a squat suit was a statement that it doesn't belong in that kind of competition (I can agree with that).
    My knowledge on this is limited but I think one must practise using a squat suit. The technique is a bit different. You usually see wider stances in squat suits for example.
    Perhaps he has never tried squatting in a suit? He has never competed in (or practised) equipped powerlifting as far as I know. (but Savickas has)
    It would be interesting if he was protesting the squat suit, but I don't really see how losing a competition will cause a lot to change.

I think you're probably right that he hasn't used a squat suit, but that's the point: he should have learned to use one. I don't know how Hafþór trains but I'm assuming he has coaches and those coaches failed him by letting him show up to a world level event without the equipment that would put him on a level playing field with the competition.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by dpinsen View Post
    He weighs 400lbs, at 6'9", and has abs.
    I know right? He could absolutely be my mancrush, I mean idol!