starting strength gym
Page 130 of 301 FirstFirst ... 3080120128129130131132140180230 ... LastLast
Results 1,291 to 1,300 of 3010

Thread: The Movies

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    It's getting the shit kicked out of it on Amazon. In contrast, I watched Frequently Asked Questions About Time Travel on Prime a couple of days ago, had 4.5 stars, and it was a great little movie. Lot of fun.

Rewatched (for about the 15th time) the first two Thin Man movies. About 95% perfect filmmaking. Van Dyke was an extraordinary director that got a lot out of his actors.

John Wick 2. Great movie. The only reason it's not as good as the first one is because it's the second one.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    John Wick 2. Great movie. The only reason it's not as good as the first one is because it's the second one.
    This is super geeky, but non-obvious things I liked about John Wick 2 included:
    -scene where a henchman was reading the book Shibumi
    -little bit of insight into the economics of those coins the hitman economy uses, you see the owner of the New York hotel talking to the coinmaker and approving a new batch for circulation
    -the jiu jitsu
    -discussion of John Wick's tattoo, "Fortis Fortuna Adiuvio". Apparently is doesn't mean "fortune favors the bold". The actual translation is darker and older, "It is only the strong that the goddess comes to save". Easy to search the discussion, but in case Mark will approve a discussion of the latin translation I'll include it
    https://www.quora.com/What-do-John-Wicks-tattoos-mean

John Wick, and John Wick 2, are some of the rare movies that never slow down. As well, everything essential is present, and everything present is essential.

Quote Originally Posted by hector_garza View Post
    I'm surprised a guy your age knows about that old book. Trevanian should have gone out of style decades ago.

Nonetheless a good catch and good placement, given the shared genre. How about that Eiger Sanction?

Quote Originally Posted by hector_garza View Post
    This is super geeky, but non-obvious things I liked about John Wick 2 included:
    -little bit of insight into the economics of those coins the hitman economy uses, you see the owner of the New York hotel talking to the coinmaker and approving a new batch for circulation
    -the jiu jitsu
    -discussion of John Wick's tattoo, "Fortis Fortuna Adiuvio". Apparently is doesn't mean "fortune favors the bold". The actual translation is darker and older, "It is only the strong that the goddess comes to save". Easy to search the discussion, but in case Mark will approve a discussion of the latin translation I'll include it
    https://www.quora.com/What-do-John-Wicks-tattoos-mean

John Wick, and John Wick 2, are some of the rare movies that never slow down. As well, everything essential is present, and everything present is essential.
    My mistake. Shibumi was John Wick 1. Rest stands.

So, last 4 movies were: John Wick 2, Dead Again, Big Trouble in Little China, The Wolverine. Tonight, The Remains of the Day.

Watched the new King Arthur last night, it was directed by Guy Ritchie, and you can tell by his style of conversation between he actors and the cuts back in time when a person is telling a story. Was very computer animated and felt cheap and rushed, Ritchie seemed out of place shooting a very big budget film like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Lex_Anderson View Post
    Watched the new King Arthur last night, it was directed by Guy Ritchie, and you can tell by his style of conversation between he actors and the cuts back in time when a person is telling a story. Was very computer animated and felt cheap and rushed, Ritchie seemed out of place shooting a very big budget film like this.
    The only really good take on Arthur, IMO, was Excalibur. I may have missed an earlier good one, but every single one since then really sucked. The one with Clive Owen and Keira Knightley standing out in the subsequent suckage.

It's hard to beat a young(er) Helen Mirren in a metal breastplate. Or this:

Top that, Guy!

starting strength coach development program
    Excalibur was a good movie, and Guy couldn't top that at all. You can see that he was out of his element with this film, he isn't a special effects director and it showed.