starting strength gym
Page 2 of 50 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Weekend politics: Why the Republicans Deserve to Lose

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I'd like to ask the members of this forum, what was your reaction was to Mitt Romney's press conference?

Quote Originally Posted by Elephant View Post
    You're claiming that no matter how deeply rates are cut, taxes collected will not decrease?

No arguments about the role of racism or Social Security and Medicare?
    Where do they teach you people how to recast an argument before responding to it? High school? Is there a class about this in your English degree?

Quote Originally Posted by rumblefish View Post
    I'd like to ask the members of this forum, what was your reaction was to Mitt Romney's press conference?
    I was struck dumb by the continued lack of perception on the part of these fools. Dumb, I tell you. They still seem to have no idea about what is happening to them.

I am looking at what's happening in the US election from the other side of the pond, but even from that great distance I can't help having a feeling of deja vu.
    In particular, the reaction of the Establishment (for want of a better word) to Trump reminds me of the reaction that Silvio Berlusconi got when he started his political career, and even more in the last few years of his political activity (or, to give a more recent example, the reaction to Marine Le Pen's undeniable success in France).

The tendency then was to consider everyone who supported or voted for Mr. B. as stupid. The fact that apparently even 'regular' members of society were willing to listen to him was ignored. For a long time, not a single prominent member of 'traditional' political forces had the insight to ask why so many people were willing to vote for Mr. B.
    The fact that maybe, just maybe, a lot of those people felt ignored by traditional political forces took a long time to enter the debate, and even when it did the conclusion was that 'we haven't ignored you, it's just that you are too stupid to understand the way we have listened to you'.

What's happening to Trump looks very similar. There are a lot of personal attacks on him, but not many attempts to understand why he seems so popular, apart from branding his supporters as halfwits or worse. The inability to have a self-critical look at themselves cost traditional Italian parties very dear; I think the same might happen in the US too, and for the same reason.

IPB

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    I was struck dumb by the continued lack of perception on the part of these fools. Dumb, I tell you. They still seem to have no idea about what is happening to them.
    I have yet to hear a positive reaction from anyone with conservative leanings. Most are somewhere between dumbfounded and livid. The only positive response I have heard so far was from a Sanders supporter.

To my point that we don't know what we are going to get. A perfect example...
    Gutfeld: Trump's 'Record Flip-Flop' on Visas Matches 'The Definition of Establishment' - Breitbart

Quote Originally Posted by Elephant View Post
    No arguments about the role of racism
    It only makes sense to argue with people who want to argue facts. All the cry babies crying "racism" these days are on par with morns talking about haunted houses. No amount of evidence will convince them otherwise and no actual evidence is ever provided by them.

Quote Originally Posted by rumblefish View Post
    This is a good commentary on the perpetual stupidity of the Republicans:

How Mitt Romney Is Totally Wrong About Donald Trump - Hit & Run : Reason.com

When LBJ and a democrat Congress lowered the voting age to 18 in 1968 when I was a freshman in college, I held my nose and voted for Nixon. I wasn't quite conservative in those days, but could see Humphrey was a sky pilot. I got less conservative as a result of the riots of the early 70's over Kent State and went into LE to reform it. But I got the Blue Disease from contagion and become pretty conservative, voting for republicans with only a few exceptions during my subsequent life.
    I can't vote for Trump if he ends up being the candidate and wont vote for Lady Clinton. I had initially decided to write in Jim Webb until I saw that HE might vote for Trump. Which clearly indicates he is unworthy of the trust of further public office. So, if necessary, I will write in Walker.

It appears we are reprising the decade(s) or so before the Civil War with poor Presidents and party dysfunction in DC. Trump supporters are the Know Nothing Party reborn.

Quote Originally Posted by George Christiansen View Post
    It only makes sense to argue with people who want to argue facts. All the cry babies crying "racism" these days are on par with morns talking about haunted houses. No amount of evidence will convince them otherwise and no actual evidence is ever provided by them.
    same goes for the rape culture feminist stuff. Funny enough my wife recently shared a conversation she had with a co-worker where they were complaining to each other about another co-worker who is a graduate of 'women's issues' or whatever the title is. They both were in agreement that the feminist is crazy and constantly complains about made up problems.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by George Christiansen View Post
    No amount of evidence will convince them otherwise and no actual evidence is ever provided by them.
    Shhh! What was that!?

Page 2 of 50 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast