starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Can you analyze too much?

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by kfreeman85 View Post
    Combine this with the fact that, depending on the art in question, the technique may not even represent a technique, but a theory codified in a physical framework. There are a ton of things that "didn't used to make sense" or "seemed not to be functional on any level" that I have come to realize aren't teaching "a move" but, instead, a theory of movement, a response to a situation, a pattern of thought, etc. Before someone can "throw something out" they've got to be really sure why it was there in the art in the first place. Most people never get full transmission of a martial art. The god awful amount of work required to be qualified and capable of study at this level is beyond the sacrifice threshold for most individuals who walk through the door.
    Those are great points!! I'm actually currently writing an article about those points and how some techniques may not apply today but still should not be removed. e.g. a technique we have against a kick is to draw back and strike the top of their foot with a knuckle. Three issues that may exist today with this technique, 1) people no longer wear thin or cloth footwear(ineffective technique against boots!) 2) training, as you mention, the training required to be actuate and fast enough to do that is beyond somes willingness, 3) Conditioning of the knuckle to make it a strong weapon to avoid injuring yourself, does not feel good, some will not want to go this far. This kind of ties in to the removing point, someone may take this technique out believing it unfeasible to be fast enough to pull it off(lack of willingness to REALLY train) or remove it simple because it hurts their knuckle.

Few seem to realize that traditional martial arts contain more that fighting techniques. There are movements in sets(kata) with no fighting application and are there for health purposes, maybe to force people to do things they wouldn't normally do. Like stretching, some prefer to skip stretching to get on to the 'fun' stuff. In our sets I can see movements that are there just to stretch the forearms or chest. Some are to aid with breathing and relaxation even some to strengthen also.

I like the comparison to fruit, and this can apply to two arts I study, Kung Fu and Kickboxing. Kung fu is like an orange, you have to put effort in and peel it to enjoy it, Kickboxing is like an apple, you can enjoy it straight away. Both are fruit, both taste good.

I agree with you that to get the most out of martial arts, especially traditional ones, you have to invest a lot of time and effort, but I believe it is worth while.
    Thanks for posting, this is helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnStrangeway View Post
    I like the comparison to fruit, and this can apply to two arts I study, Kung Fu and Kickboxing. Kung fu is like an orange, you have to put effort in and peel it to enjoy it, Kickboxing is like an apple, you can enjoy it straight away. Both are fruit, both taste good.
    The way you write it makes it seem like there is no depth to kickboxing, while there is in Kung Fu. Because you understand why you do things doesn't mean that there isn't depth to it, and because you don't understand Kung Fu doesn't mean that it's enjoyable later. You might as well say that Kung Fu is like a whore while weightlifting is like a wife, and it would make just as much sense as your comparison here.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Qabalah View Post
    The way you write it makes it seem like there is no depth to kickboxing, while there is in Kung Fu. Because you understand why you do things doesn't mean that there isn't depth to it, and because you don't understand Kung Fu doesn't mean that it's enjoyable later. You might as well say that Kung Fu is like a whore while weightlifting is like a wife, and it would make just as much sense as your comparison here.
    That's not the point I was making, there is depth to kickboxing as it is still a fighting art, but you can apply it faster a higher level than kung fu.
    I guess you can say, no matter what fruit you choose, you still need to chew it (depth of training). For example kung fu has techniques where you learn to generate power in a short space using the wrist etc, this takes longer to train and develop.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12