starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unusual circumstances.

Default Unusual circumstances.

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hi Mark,

I like your approach to the iron game, and I could use a bit of help.

I've returned to lifting after a ten year layoff, and find myself in a rather curious environment. In brief, I'm in the middle of nowhere (Canada), far north in an isolated camp, working in the oil fields.

It's currently -40.

I only mention this because while I would love to do squats and chug litres of milk, the only gym available (30 miles away) has NO SQUAT RACK!

A hellspawn smith machine, of course, but no squat rack.

Fortunately, the gym is open 24 hours a day, has a fair selection of olympic weights, I have access to unlimited food, and I sit on my ass all day in a truck as a field medic.

So I think I can still get bigger and stronger. Actually, I know I can. I've put on about 20 lbs in the last month with the following routine:

Bench
    Deadlifts
    Chins
    Clean and jerk
    Curls
    Shrugs
    Leg press

(workout every second day)

Eating is pretty good, generally have breakfast (bacon and eggs), pack six sandwiches, and finish the day with two dinners spread over the evening.

I started at 174 pounds and now weigh 195 pounds. Unfortunately, at a height of 6'4", I have a long way to go before I actually look big. Lifts are progressing, started at 135 in the deadlift, now at about 245x5 ... but the weight is feeling no heavier that when I began, so I suspect I can probably do three plates soon.

My question: I know there is no substitute for squats, but could you recommend any alterations, or a program, I could do for someone without access to a squat rack?

My goal is to become bigger and stronger, nothing more. If you could offer some strength and bodyweight goals for someone of my height, it would also be appreciated. I think John McCallum gave a formula that suggested I should be at least 260 pounds. I find this a bit daunting.

Thanks for you very much for your time, Mark.

An interesting situation, in many ways. If I were you, I'd just make deadlift my primary lift. I'd vary the reps and sets, and don't try to program it in a linear fashion like squats. Go to a weekly programming that has you PR every Monday and Friday on the different reps. It won't work as well as the squat, but it will be better than nothing. McCallum is probably right about your bodyweight, but that won't happen without the squats, so just do what you can on a 3 day/week DL program.

Thanks Mark.

I'll change the reps around a little and do as you suggest. I'll probably cut back on some of the other exercises as well, I like the brevity of your programs.

I'm thinking of something like this:

(3x5) Bench/overhead press (alternate each workout)
    (3x5) Clean and jerk
    Deadlift

On the deadlifts, I'll pyramid the sets up to max weights for a couple of reps on one day, and maybe try something like multiple straight sets with constant weight on another. In between, I'll play ... depending on how sore I am. Perhaps I'll sneak in a twenty rep, "breathing" deadlift.

Not perfect, but I feel confident that even without squats I can make some good size gains.

Best,
    fluxboy

(ps Do you think I should drop the leg press altogether?)

Leg Pressing is masturbation.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Leg Pressing is masturbation.
    Oh, come on. Masturbation isn't that bad.

Oh, I didn't say it was bad. But at least when I masturbate, I am not under the impression that I'm making anybody else cum but me.

Would it be an acceptable alternative to clean, then front squat? Obviously the weights would be much lesser than if you had a rack, but better than nothing?

Or, if your gym has a bench press, set the bar at the highest hook, sit on the bench and get under the bar in a half squat position, then stand up with it and walk your way out of the bench. I've done this before for warmup sets when the only rack in my gym is taken up. Again, not gonna work for really heavy weights, but better than nothing.

Masturbation aside (that may be the only time I've ever said that sincerely), I've always wondered about the feasibility of someone in these circumstances just mastering Steinborn squats.

Well, my buddy Phil Anderson did a Steinborn with 500 lbs at a meet many years ago (and a Zercher too), so they can be done heavy. And a clean and front squat is possible too. But we are talking here about a guy in a temporary less-than-perfect situation (his oilfield job in the boonies will not last forever, and he may have other priorities as well), and we're trying to reinvent the wheel for him. Let's just see how he solves the problem. I'll bet that if he wants to back squat bad enough, he can get it done with an equipment purchase.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    But at least when I masturbate, I am not under the impression that I'm making anybody else cum but me.
    This should be put on a t-shirt.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast