starting strength gym
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ab Wheel / GHR Similarities

Question Ab Wheel / GHR Similarities

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Mark,

Would you agree that by blocking the distal function of the gastroc by, say, putting the feet against a wall, one could get the same (or similar) benefits of the glute-ham raise exercise using an ab roller?

It seems to me that the exercises are quite similar, except that the hips are in flexion rather than extension when the knees are flexed. The hips then extend while the knees extend, similar to the squat, except that an eccentric contraction of the hamstrings finishes the exercise rather than a concentric contraction like in the squat.

I ask because I have an ab roller but do not have a GHD. I'm looking to make use of what I have rather than buy any new equipment.

Never thought about it. How do you keep your feet against the wall? Maybe just squat, press, and deadlift.

I've had some success with essentially just keeping my knees on a non-skid surface. There's room for improvement as far as actually keeping them flat against the wall. I can definitely feel a difference in my hamstrings and glutes when I work to keep my feet down as opposed to crossing and folding them behind me, like I've seen some ab wheel users do.

I'm considering using some spare lumbar to build something small in my garage just to give me something to hook onto and press against like on a proper GHD.

I was looking for an ancillary exercise to begin incorporating as my novice progression slows down, and one that didn't involve $300+ just for something I'd occasionally use. I just started chinning and noticed I have a good 20 minutes extra than my usual workouts, especially when the chins fall on a light squat day. Figured I could do something productive with that time. I was given the ab wheel as a gift and was hoping to find use for it as well.

I've expressed the opinion before that this type of assistance work is unnecessary. Why don't you do something productive with this time outside the gym?

Point taken. Sounds like I just found the time to have bacon with my eggs at breakfast.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    I've expressed the opinion before that this type of assistance work is unnecessary. Why don't you do something productive with this time outside the gym?
    Not to be combative here coach, and I'm sure this question is coming more from my ignorance than anything else, but if you don't feel this kind of assistance work is necessary, then why is it included in SSBBT? It seems there would be benefits in some cases, but none for the novice or intermediate lifter as they don't require so much complexity to make progress. I always felt like they were a little out of place given the rest of the book's philosophy, but again I would definitely defer to your knowledge over my inexperience.

They are there for completeness, same as barbell curls.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    They are there for completeness, same a barbell curls.
    I’ll just do curls then.

*Head-smack*

Understood and I definitely feel ignorant on this one. I certainly should have made that connection. Thank you for your time!

starting strength coach development program
    Have you ever regretted the decision to include the ancillary exercises in Starting Strength?

Maybe not the partials and the variations, but the others?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast