starting strength gym

Thread: training volume and dieting

Default training volume and dieting

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    hi Mark,

just need a small bit of advice if thats ok.

First let me say that SS has given me more strength and muscle gains than any other programme.. People have commented about my lifts going up unusually fast, in a suspicious way lol.

anyway I wish to drop some of the fat gained over the last few months so have reduced my calorie intake and added a little cardio, as one does. I realize by doing this I am reducing my recovery and ability to put weight on the bar. My squats seem to be the most effected exercise so far with deads next in line.

My question is (I don't want to mess with the plan still being a novice) should training volume reduce at a time like this when an athlete wishes to drop bodyfat?
    Would stepping back for 6 weeks help in maintaining or allowing slow progress in my lifts, would you just reduce work sets?

I don't really have any experience of dieting with a strength programme.

thanks Mark for all the help.

regards

Simon

You can either moderate your volume, a requirement if your diet is not supporting your training load adequately, or you can reevaluate your desire to drop bodyfat at this point in your training progression. I would submit that if you are making good progress on your strength with a linear progression, and that since you know this pace of progress will eventually slow, that this might not be the best time to alter the program. Fat is easy to take off, easier than strength is to gain. Do it later.

thanks for the response.

I will go with what you say and increase my calories back up. I am making good progress so don't really want to mess with that. If I plateau I may consider having a few weeks of dieting and cardio and combine that with a semi deload.

As I understand it a reduction in volume while trying to increase the (intensity) is the way to go (PPST). So dropping squats to one work set of 5 x 3 per week could be appropriate. As you have stated before cardio and lifting do not mix well together due to one's limited recovery (i think i've understood this right).

Onwards and upwards for now though, thanks so much for taking the time to answer, appreciated..

ps. do you happen to know where part 2 of the crossfit squat mov is or am I being dim lol (late in the uk)? there great to watch along with what's written in SS.

thanks mark

regards

simon

I don't know about a part 2.