starting strength gym

Thread: Coach, could you formcheck my Press? (<2.0)

Default Coach, could you formcheck my Press? (<2.0)

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi coach,

I'm coming back from a nasty shoulder injury (twice). I was hoping you could check my form on the Press. I restarted training with an empty bar, slowly getting back into strength training. That's why I'm doing it less dynamic.

Formwise my main issue seems to be locking out on top. I feel a lot of resistance there within my shoulders themselves. ROM itself seems to be an issue since I struggle with getting my arms straight anyway.

Since I know you had your fair share of shoulder troubles I hoped you might take a look:

Streamable - free video publishing

(I want to build a solid Base again so I can start boxing - I started too soon after being immobile due the injury which was stupid -on both counts.)

What was the injury?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    What was the injury?
    The supraspinatus tendon in my left shoulder was swollen/inflamed. Imaging showed it was 10mm across while a normal healthy supraspinatus tendon is 4 to 5 mm. So that wasnt good. LUCKILY it didn't tear, but ROM was pretty limited (couldn't put on a jacket anymore). No structural abnormalities either (bone spurs, etc).

Keep your elbows up a little better at the start position.

Yes I can see what you mean, I will keep that in mind. I first used to press out of a clean / front swuat position but i guess i overcorrected myself.
    Anything else that looks weird? I feel like I'm exaggerating the "moving my head/torso forward" part.

Oh and would you say the bench press is totally off limits now? I wanted to work up back to at least bodyweight. The barbell shakes a lot though during benching.. but no pain during the actual lift. Maybe press twice a week and bench press once?

starting strength coach development program
    The rest looks okay. If the bench doesn't hurt, do it.