starting strength gym

Thread: Need to hulk-smashing something!!! Getting frustrated...

Exclamation Need to hulk-smashing something!!! Getting frustrated...

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    A couple of months back, in the midst of trying to get my low-bar squat form perfected, my low back started to hurt on both sides and only got worse as I continued to squat. Days passed, then I noticed my back was starting to round, and it hadn?t been, so I decided I would sign up for your barbell certification (Amelia Island, November) and get it fixed once and for all. In the meantime, I have found that front squatting doesn?t worsen the pain in my low back, and it?s actually gotten better since I?ve been using this version of the squat. I know that the front squat won?t get me as strong, but I want to keep squatting and avoid screwing my back up worse, etc.

Bad news is that after only a month of front squatting, I?m stalling. Obviously, something isn?t right. Today?s squat workout sucked. Here are the possibilities why:

1. My form is faulty enough to have caused an early stall
    2. Could be tired from sleeping poorly last night
    3. Could have been biting off more than I can chew these last several sessions, as I?ve been having to ?gut it out? on the fourth and fifth reps of almost all of my sets = overtraining
    4. I?m a genetic weakling

If it?s my form, and I fix it, obviously my problems should go away for a good long while. If not, I have to consider inappropriate weight selection or sleep as factors (can?t be nutrition, I?m doing the GOMAD thing and getting enough calories to put on probably 2-3 lbs a week consistently, along with a shitload of protein from good old chicken and red meat). I?m currently 200 lbs at 5? 9 ?-10?. Here?s hoping I?m not a genetic weakling.

Here's a workset from Friday and today's squat workouts:

http://www.youtube.com/v/0wwRuPPntek&hl=en&fs=1

http://www.youtube.com/v/khVAnuSjqCE&hl=en&fs=1

What do you think?

-Stacey

The reason we don't use front squats in the program is because they involve less muscle mass and thus have less potential for growth. Much better to fix your back squat that to change to what is for you an assistance exercise.