starting strength gym
Page 2679 of 3118 FirstFirst ... 1679217925792629266926772678267926802681268927292779 ... LastLast
Results 26,781 to 26,790 of 31180

Thread: COVID19 Factors We Should Consider/Current Events

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Quote Originally Posted by francesco.decaro View Post
    I believe I posted a similar story a few pages ago.
    18 year old female belgian powerlifter, died within 24 hours due to "sudden infection".
    Arizona girl, 12, suffers cardiac arrest during soccer practice

She has since been "diagnosed with a genetic condition."

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Charles View Post
    NYC is considering new laws that require parking fines be proportional to personal wealth. From each according to his abilities.

I’ve been avoiding the Marxism debates here as hyperbole but I’m often proven wrong.
    Did you see the little game they've decided to play with interest rates and FICO scores recently? Marxism defined.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post

Did you see the little game they've decided to play with interest rates and FICO scores recently? Marxism defined.
    Yes. Same economic geniuses, like Krugman, a man who always is wrong, that wants the debt limit to be infinity.

This epic thread is an absolute gold mine for someone pursuing their Ph.D. in psychology with a specialty in heuristics and biases.

Representativeness Heuristic Bias (Wikipedia)
    "When people rely on representativeness to make judgments, they are likely to judge wrongly because the fact that something is more representative does not actually make it more likely. The representativeness heuristic is simply described as assessing similarity of objects and organizing them based around the category prototype (e.g., like goes with like, and causes and effects should resemble each other). This heuristic is used because it is an easy computation. The problem is that people overestimate its ability to accurately predict the likelihood of an event. Thus, it can result in neglect of relevant base rates and other cognitive biases."

Well, since everyone here apparently now believes what they read in the news, here is some more for you;
    Claims baselessly link COVID vaccines to athlete deaths | AP News
    Reports of Sudden Deaths Among Athletes After COVID-19 Vax Are ‘Misinformation’ | tctmd.com

Waiting for the Frank says ______, Got it.

Quote Originally Posted by FrankNJ View Post
    This epic thread is an absolute gold mine for someone pursuing their Ph.D. in psychology with a specialty in heuristics and biases.

"When people rely on representativeness to make judgments, they are likely to judge wrongly because the fact that something is more representative does not actually make it more likely. The representativeness heuristic is simply described as assessing similarity of objects and organizing them based around the category prototype (e.g., like goes with like, and causes and effects should resemble each other). This heuristic is used because it is an easy computation. The problem is that people overestimate its ability to accurately predict the likelihood of an event. Thus, it can result in neglect of relevant base rates and other cognitive biases."
    Global warming is a better example of heuristic bias.

Well, since everyone here apparently now believes what they read in the news, here is some more for you;
    Reports of Sudden Deaths Among Athletes After COVID-19 Vax Are ‘Misinformation’ | tctmd.com

✔ Flash credentials
    ✔ Refer to a fallacy or bias
    ✔ Provide authoritative sources
    ✘ Make an argument.

You're like Reddit incarnate.

We've been pulling these deaths out from the news for 2 years, Frank. If you can find multiple sudden deaths a year from young professional atheltes that are not fully invesitigated previous to 2020, I'm all ears.
    At least we try to come up with conclusions ourselves instead of going to thisiswhatyoushouldthink.com
    There is nothing that tells us we should trust anything the government, or whatever entity closely related to it, do. All the signs historically speaking point in the opposite direction. Why would the vaccine be any different?
    Why would it be safe and effective?
    Because it makes you happier to believe so?

Quote Originally Posted by anticausal View Post
    Because that is how they "procreate". Have you noticed how they completely dropped the whole "gay gene" thing they used to push? The whole point of that was to get the rubes to think "God made them that way" while they made their advance. It was pure propaganda, and as always a bunch of "scientists" went along with it. As a tactic, I can't blame them, since it certainly sounded a lot better than "a grown man sexually groomed me when I was boy."
    When I was younger and had a much different (ie more naive and idealistic) view of the world, I was invited to a gay bar by the girl I was dating and one of her gay friends. I went, obviously, expecting to go to a normal bar, just with gay people. I walk in, and there are what looked to be very young-looking boys (who I assume were young-looking adults) dancing on the bar top wearing tighty whities while being ogled and groped by middle-aged men. This wasn't a strip club, or a burlesque hall, it was a bar/night club in a strip of many othet bars/night clubs.

That experience was one of many that led me to reconsider a lot of things.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan DCNT View Post
    Serious question for those older than 50: was shit always this goddamn retarded, and we just never heard about it because there was no Twitter equivalent? Or are we in truly uncharted territory? I know the 70's sucked, but this seems like we're really past the point of no return, and that we're one financial collapse or full-scale war away from the US imploding.
    I've wondered about this a lot recently , have I just gotten more cynical over the past 50 years or has the SHTF?

At 10 years old, I watched my two older cousins come back from Vietnam pretty fucked up. Danny was in a coma for around a year, and Rick was never the same again after 3 years as a prisoner of war. My brother came home in a wooden box a week after he turned 18.

We had the Detroit riots in 1967. That was fun.

I remember my grandfather was absolutely livid when Nixon took us off the gold standard.

We had oil embargos, and lines down the road waiting to get gas rations.

The next ice age was right around the corner, Russian nukes could be flying any day, we did nuclear attack drills by hiding under our desks in elementary school.

Interest rates were 20% by the late 70s.

All that said, I've never seen the level of incompetence, corruption, and treason as we're experiencing now 50 years later with the current regime.

Quote Originally Posted by mkm5 View Post
    I've wondered about this a lot recently , have I just gotten more cynical over the past 50 years or has the SHTF?

We had oil embargos, and lines down the road waiting to get gas rations.
    The next ice age was right around the corner, Russian nukes could be flying any day, we did nuclear attack drills by hiding under our desks in elementary school.
    Interest rates were 20% by the late 70s.
    Adding to the list
    - Horrible air pollution (Leaded gas)
    - Lead all over the place (toys)
    - Mercury in tooth filings
    - Tons of water Pollution, the Hudson River (NY) and many other rivers were loaded with PCBs
    - Ground Pollution: 200 super fund sites in NJ alone
    - Lots of kids getting Leukemia from ground/water pollution
    - Asbestos scandals
    - Much higher local government corruption
    - Blatant violations of civil rights by Police (See "Freedom" by Sonny Barger for examples)
    - All sorts of poisons in food
    - Jimmy "I love you I love you" Carter

Having said all of that:
    1) The Federal government was waaaaay smaller. When they messed up or lied, it had far less impact.
    2) We had much better local New Papers filled with blue collar reporters that actually reported news
    3) The world and the country was less integrated and connected, so there was far less social, economic or biological contagion to spread around
    4) When you visited a foreign country, it was actually foreign (No McDonald's in Italy)

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Charles View Post
    Global warming is a better example of heuristic bias.
    How so?

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by francesco.decaro View Post
    We've been pulling these deaths out from the news for 2 years, Frank. If you can find multiple sudden deaths a year from young professional atheltes that are not fully invesitigated previous to 2020, I'm all ears.
    At least we try to come up with conclusions ourselves instead of going to thisiswhatyoushouldthink.com
    There is nothing that tells us we should trust anything the government, or whatever entity closely related to it, do. All the signs historically speaking point in the opposite direction. Why would the vaccine be any different?
    Why would it be safe and effective?
    Because it makes you happier to believe so?
    Paisano, whether the vaccine causes or doesn't cause cardiac arrest in young people wasn't the point of the post. Before 2020, major news outlets like the the NY Post would unlikely report on random individual cases of cardiac arrest in young people because there was no market for it. Now there is a market, so they look for cases to feed the echo chambers. It just seems like a good example of being fooled by randomness to me. One thing I do know for sure, Peter McCullough is not trustworthy. He was on Joe Rogan and swore up and down with certainty that it's impossible to catch C19 twice.