starting strength gym

Thread: Eye drops - possible systemic effects

Default Eye drops - possible systemic effects

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi Rip,

The eye doctor wants to put me on loteprednol drops, which I learned are similar in class to prednisone. We've previously discussed some of the catabolic effects of prednisone on this board. I wonder if the eye drops would go systemic and possibly cause problems.

My eyes are in rough shape right now - way too much screen time at work. He wants me on the eye drops for two weeks. Would you give pause in my situation? If the drops are unavoidable would you alter training in any way, to mediate any possible catabolic effects?

Thank you,

I seriously doubt that the dose is high enough to affect you systemically. Seriously. Just do the course of drops as recommended.

You probably should alter the training, since of course Starting Strength is calibrated to produce the smallest possible increase in strength and muscle mass. If we ask nicely perhaps Rip will favor us with methods which lack the built in limiters designed to keep it's practitioners from getting too big and strong.

Thanks, Rip. That makes sense, and it's only a two-week stint.

Quote Originally Posted by BareSteel View Post
    Hi Rip,

The eye doctor wants to put me on loteprednol drops, which I learned are similar in class to prednisone. We've previously discussed some of the catabolic effects of prednisone on this board. I wonder if the eye drops would go systemic and possibly cause problems.

My eyes are in rough shape right now - way too much screen time at work. He wants me on the eye drops for two weeks. Would you give pause in my situation? If the drops are unavoidable would you alter training in any way, to mediate any possible catabolic effects? Thank you,
    Too much screen time? Surely you are not using an old CRT type monitor? If you are getting dry eyes from too much screen time at work you are not giving time to rest your eyes, every 30 minutes you need to go to a window and refocus on some distant object, If it is not starring at cell phones, computer screens it is the TV I bet.

When I was at school the blackboard was 20 to 30 feet away, no phones, no laptops, Chromebooks or tablets. That is why most young folk today will be wearing glasses because of myopia.

Come on why don't you say you spend the best part of the night on the computer and any other time peering into your cell phone? The reason you get dry sore eyes is you don't blink, your eyes are stuck wide open.

Quote Originally Posted by wal View Post
    Too much screen time? Surely you are not using an old CRT type monitor?...Come on why don't you say you spend the best part of the night on the computer and any other time peering into your cell phone? The reason you get dry sore eyes is you don't blink, your eyes are stuck wide open.
    It's a modern monitor, not exactly sure on the screen style. I worked overtime in April and took firefighting classes at night (mix of watching PowerPoints and performing drills). In fact, it was driving home at night that I first noticed my vision wasn't quite right.

You're right that I could afford to reduce cell phone time and take more screen breaks during the day. Thanks for the reminder on that.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by BareSteel View Post
    It's a modern monitor, not exactly sure on the screen style. I worked overtime in April and took firefighting classes at night (mix of watching PowerPoints and performing drills). In fact, it was driving home at night that I first noticed my vision wasn't quite right.

You're right that I could afford to reduce cell phone time and take more screen breaks during the day. Thanks for the reminder on that.
    You have to take care of your eyes, you only get one set. My brother is an optometrist and told me I needed glasses for reading back when I was 50, but long vision is OK probably because we never had computers and cell phones till we got to 30. Vitamin D deficiency can cause vision problems, but I guess your ophthalmologist checked that. Good luck with the firefighting training.