starting strength gym

Thread: Helping my 15yr old son

Default Helping my 15yr old son

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hello,
    My son started weight training in his high school, and we go to the gym together and lift occasionally, he tells me that his teacher has everyone in the class max once every two weeks and they do a wierd pyramid type program. Personally I dont like that and I feel its a good way to get the kids hurt doing what the teacher says, I've given him my copy of your book (but any parent will know getting a teen to read a book is usually like hearding cats.) for him to study and I've helped him develop good form on his lifts. When we go to the gym together we do your program the way its written, he likes it better than what he does at school and feels it'll make him stronger which I totally agree with.
    Two lifts he is usually hesitant to do are squats and the OHP, he says they're uncomfortable or awkward to do, I tell him its normal and that his body will get used to it, is there anything else I can do to help him? Also looking for any advise in general about training teens, currently he doesnt do any sports but he really enjoys weight lifting.
    Thanks

First, if your son's health and injury status is important to you, you have to understand that there are about 10 coaches in the public schools of the United States of America who actually know what they're doing in the weight room. His odds are not good. Here's some reading for you:

Can You Put Your Kids on a Strength Training Program? | Mark Rippetoe

Why Your Kids Should Be Lifting Weights | Mark Rippetoe

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    First, if your son's health and injury status is important to you, you have to understand that there are about 10 coaches in the public schools of the United States of America who actually know what they're doing in the weight room. His odds are not good. Here's some reading for you:

Can You Put Your Kids on a Strength Training Program? | Mark Rippetoe

Why Your Kids Should Be Lifting Weights | Mark Rippetoe
    This.

And they JUST WON'T LISTEN.

Sean Berry is one of those 10.