starting strength gym
Page 3121 of 3122 FirstFirst ... 212126213021307131113119312031213122 LastLast
Results 31,201 to 31,210 of 31218

Thread: COVID19 Factors We Should Consider/Current Events

• starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Perhaps you saw this headline:

Covid may increase the risk of heart attacks, strokes, and deaths for three years after an infection, a new study suggests | CNN
    Covid-19 may increase the risk of heart attacks, strokes and deaths for three years after an infection, study suggests

SUPER scary right?

well, the science is broken:

URGENT: Authors of a big new paper on Covid'''s heart risks presented its results in a misleading way likely to scare people the paper itself shows are not in danger

URGENT: Authors of a big new paper on Covid's heart risks presented its results in a misleading way likely to scare people the paper itself shows are not in danger
    The study, out on Wednesday, appears to have found NO extra long-term cardiovascular risks for most people infected with Covid. But the Cleveland Clinic, NIH, and the authors pretended the opposite.

snip

In the Cleveland Clinic press release, Dr. Hazen did not sugarcoat the dangers. “The findings reported are not a small effect in a small subgroup,” he said. “[They] point to a finding of global healthcare importance that promises to translate into a rise in cardiovascular disease globally.”

Except they don’t. Hazen’s promise isn’t true.

snip

For the vast majority of people who have had Covid, the research offered reassuring results. It showed essentially no increase in risk in heart attacks, strokes, or deaths for them.

snip

The entire extra danger they found appears to have come only from the extreme risk suffered by about 2,000 people who were hospitalized with a Covid-19 infection. Those people were almost four times as likely to die or have heart attacks or strokes as the control group.

The other 8,062 infected people - those infected but not hospitalized - suffered heart attacks, strokes, and deaths at basically the same rate as the control group.2
    "The Science" Strikes again.

Thanks to all for the words of encouragement. Like anyone who has absorbed SS/Rip philosophies for years, we were very well prepared for this and suffered little damage, so we're "Glamping". Still have no town water, but...we were prepared in every way. Most importantly, we chose a home that isn't near water, is on high ground but not on a mountain side, we cut every damned tree down that could possibly fall on the house, and spent a small fortunate on grading and drainage many years ago. And, we are secure here.

The spectrum of experiences here is wide. My small town right off I40 avoids "Lord of the Flies" while living just 10 miles up into these mountains can quickly turn into a fight for survival. Shawn Ryan's interview #138 "Aerial Recovery - The Hurricane Helene Disaster" is an interesting listen.

My experience is very isolated. Locally, it's clear the state and federal governments are struggling to find a role here. People who love and expect everything from the government are trying to not see what's happening: conservative types here and from elsewhere have flooded this town with aid, skills and compassion. It's a beautiful thing, and the one positive I see with the disappearance of modern conveniences (including Internet and media) is a return of the human connection.

Imagine giving a neighbor a small camping propane tank and seeing the tears well up in her eyes. Mountain people are proud, hardy and will not ask for help. Imagine charging a Vietnam Vet's spinal pain device for him and feeling that deep gratitude from a complete badass. The guy jumped on a grenade to save his buddies, and he's still full of shrapnel in places the surgeons can't touch. These are tough people and I'm honored to live among them.

It's these interactions that government works so hard to steal from us. Instead of allowing us to give (or receive) some of our money to our fellow humans when they need a hand-up, the government takes that money by force and distributes it as it sees fit robbing both parties of that soul feeding human connection. A similar dynamic appears to be at work in Western North Carolina now according to the reports you guys have posted here. The Government NEEDS to take that interaction away from us. Otherwise, those badass uniforms look like silly costumes.

I almost feel sorry for the national guard guys/ladies and the FEMA people I see around town. They don't seem to know what to do; the civilians are ignoring them and taking care of business. Hopefully, they are accomplishing amazing things up in the mountains, but Shawn Ryan's interview makes me suspect otherwise.

As always, I think in song and movies. Here's today's song as I reflect on our complex relationship with our Government:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9W0g3NGSj4

Rip, here is an interesting video with a geologist discussing the Helene floods in NC. As a trained geologist what are your thoughts on his analysis.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9X6pdmqrAu0

Quote Originally Posted by Kitsuma View Post
    It's these interactions that government works so hard to steal from us. Instead of allowing us to give (or receive) some of our money to our fellow humans when they need a hand-up, the government takes that money by force and distributes it as it sees fit robbing both parties of that soul feeding human connection. A similar dynamic appears to be at work in Western North Carolina now according to the reports you guys have posted here. The Government NEEDS to take that interaction away from us. Otherwise, those badass uniforms look like silly costumes.

I almost feel sorry for the national guard guys/ladies and the FEMA people I see around town. They don't seem to know what to do; the civilians are ignoring them and taking care of business. Hopefully, they are accomplishing amazing things up in the mountains, but Shawn Ryan's interview makes me suspect otherwise.
    Excellent, Kits. I'm speechless.

Boots are on the ground.
    It's official; we now have US troops fighting israel's war:
    US Troops To Operate THAAD Anti-Ballistic Missile System In Israel: Army Radio | ZeroHedge

As I have posted before, we have already had deaths of US soldiers in israel's current war, however the troops were there in an "unofficial" capacity.

We can take solace in the fact that our military is now a mostly incapable hodgepodge of "migrants", the illiterate children of illegal aliens, sissies, trannies, women who fail to meet the physical requirements, Covid-vax fucked NPCs, the mentally ill and about 25% of the unfortunate traditional Americans we respect.
    Maybe some of our military members can illegally immigrate to israel and stay there; they sure as hell won't be able to win a war against Iran in any case.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitsuma View Post
    Thanks to all for the words of encouragement. Like anyone who has absorbed SS/Rip philosophies for years, we were very well prepared for this and suffered little damage, so we're "Glamping". Still have no town water, but...we were prepared in every way. Most importantly, we chose a home that isn't near water, is on high ground but not on a mountain side, we cut every damned tree down that could possibly fall on the house, and spent a small fortunate on grading and drainage many years ago. And, we are secure here.

The spectrum of experiences here is wide. My small town right off I40 avoids "Lord of the Flies" while living just 10 miles up into these mountains can quickly turn into a fight for survival. Shawn Ryan's interview #138 "Aerial Recovery - The Hurricane Helene Disaster" is an interesting listen.

My experience is very isolated. Locally, it's clear the state and federal governments are struggling to find a role here. People who love and expect everything from the government are trying to not see what's happening: conservative types here and from elsewhere have flooded this town with aid, skills and compassion. It's a beautiful thing, and the one positive I see with the disappearance of modern conveniences (including Internet and media) is a return of the human connection.

Imagine giving a neighbor a small camping propane tank and seeing the tears well up in her eyes. Mountain people are proud, hardy and will not ask for help. Imagine charging a Vietnam Vet's spinal pain device for him and feeling that deep gratitude from a complete badass. The guy jumped on a grenade to save his buddies, and he's still full of shrapnel in places the surgeons can't touch. These are tough people and I'm honored to live among them.

As always, I think in song and movies. Here's today's song as I reflect on our complex relationship with our Government:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9W0g3NGSj4
    Thank you, Kit. Thank you for proving me right. Not because I give a damn for myself, but hopefully you have a story that people will listen to instead of my nagging. And I can't thank you enough for being the kind of man you are. When you didn't have to step outside of your own security -- even being justified to remain there after having done the work -- you gave freely to your community when they needed you most. I know you're not alone in doing so, either.

I know things are tough there, and they will be for a while. But out of that suffering I hope grows a love and resilience among everyone who makes it through. That strength and civility aren't whimsical ideas from the past. They're necessities.

Finally some good news from the western worlds testing ground for shit ideas. Good to see some grass roots action against the bullshit.

https://x.com/jamiemcintyre21/status...810510995?s=19

Quote Originally Posted by David A. Rowe View Post
    I know things are tough there, and they will be for a while. But out of that suffering I hope grows a love and resilience among everyone who makes it through. That strength and civility aren't whimsical ideas from the past. They're necessities.
    But the government is now actively trying to make them obsolete. These are truly evil people.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Woodruff View Post
    Finally some good news from the western worlds testing ground for shit ideas. Good to see some grass roots action against the bullshit.

https://x.com/jamiemcintyre21/status...810510995?s=19
    This should be the deathknell for mRNA technology outside a limited and targeted therapeutical approach whereby an individual's own genes are used to correct a disease state specific to them (as in... technology we're not even remotely close to).

But it won't be.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    But the government is now actively trying to make them obsolete. These are truly evil people.
    Absolutely, emphatically agree. Whether malice or incompetence, this is a truly wicked age.

But they can't kill these things anymore than they can kill gravity -- it's all part of our fundamental reality.

(I haven't forgotten about bringing you backstraps for some grilling! Just have to wait for the baby to get older...)