starting strength gym

Thread: Training while having a cold..

Default Training while having a cold..

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hi Rip,

I've searched the forum and failed to find a similar thread.

I have just caught a lovely 'summer' cold. It's pretty heavy. I've read in a few threads on other forums to stop training and recover then carry on or the recovery will take much longer and the symptoms may worsen.

Is this your opinion also? Bare in mind that I work out at home so wont be risking infecting other people at a gym. What about training more lighter for a while untill I recover?

Thanks. Will.

My general rule has always been: train though a cold, which only affects your nasal tissues, but lay off for the flu, which is systemic. It's always worked for me.

Post summer cold

Had the summer cold myself about a month ago. Just drank an extra cup of coffee before my workout, toughed it out, and started feeling better probably in a shorter period of time than if I'd just skipped the workout and rested.

Be well.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Snow View Post
    Hi Rip,

I've searched the forum and failed to find a similar thread.

I have just caught a lovely 'summer' cold. It's pretty heavy. I've read in a few threads on other forums to stop training and recover then carry on or the recovery will take much longer and the symptoms may worsen.

Is this your opinion also? Bare in mind that I work out at home so wont be risking infecting other people at a gym. What about training more lighter for a while untill I recover?

Thanks. Will.
    Holy crap .. I was thinking the same thing today.. I also caught a pretty bad cold , after careful thinking I decided to workout , after all I have never missed a workday for a cold so I don't see why I shouldn't workout ..
    It was hard , the breathing is really difficult I cut the weight down and it took me extra time because of this but I feel good now .