starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can I be an Olympic-style lifter with a strength emphasis?

Default Can I be an Olympic-style lifter with a strength emphasis?

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hello.

I don't know what I can classify myself as, so I'll just get to my personal bests throughout life...

When I was 19 years old, I had a 205-pound clean-and-jerk. When I was 17, I had a 455-pound deadlift. When I was also 17, I had a 275-pound bench press (though I never really gave a hoot about that lift). Recently, when I was 29 two years ago, I did this:

395 pounds for 5 sets of 1 rep. First set. - YouTube

I could have done a second rep, but it was a different kind of workout. I am also very fat as you can see...

So that's my background.

My initial goal right now is to become tiny. Lose all the weight and fat while practicing snatch technique with a wooden stick and improving shoulder flexibility. I hope shoulder flexibility is not genetically-fixed.

So I don't know how you feel about this, Coach Rip, but I want to follow the old-school dudes in the 50's back when they all became champions because of their brute strength instead of technique. Guys like Hepburn, Anderson, and Davis, basically. I have extensive experience doing the renowned, Bulgarian-style training with high frequency and high intensity. It was my own style of it, but the spirit of the program was the same. My squat went from 335 to 415 pounds in less than four months, as done in the style shown above. I want to follow that type of program again... Except with this one, instead of doing the holy trinity of snatch, clean-and-jerk, and squat, I want them to be:

Squat, clean-pull, and strict press.

There would definitely be a ton of accessory work to address weaknesses, but those are the lifts I personally want to specialize in. I think I'd be a more badass Olympic Lifter if I am good at those lifts more than being good at the actual Olympic lifts themselves.

Also, I can keep working on my shoulder-joint flexibility for overhead pressing and keep improving, right? It's not limited by bad genetics?

Thanks.
    Bee.

We don't program the Olympic squat, the strict press, or the clean-pull. You can do anything you want to do, but I don't think I can help.

I'll take a stab at it.

Your goals are your own. Nobody here can judge your goals.

However, it does not seem you have read the book or learned about the program. The Starting Strength program is a program designed to develop full body strength by using the 5 basic barbell lifts (squat, benchpress, deadlift, powerclean and press) plus a very short list of accessory exercises that may include chinups, barbell curls, and dips (but not necessarily) and the linear progression of additional weight on the bar.

After becoming as strong as you can on the SS novice program - a period of time that is different for everyone but usually takes 3-9 months - you are ready for other forms of exercise selection and programming (programming means weight choice, reps, sets and frequency) to develop even greater strength. BUT, after completing the novice program you as an aspiring weightlifter may want to segue into more precise weightlifting programming.

At that time, using your overall increased full body strength, and what should be a concomitant increase in useful flexibility (and possible even a loss of bodyfat if you choose a reasonable, adult diet) you can fuck around with snatches and shit.

In short, follow the SS novice linear progression program to get nice and strong, and then go practice/play your sport. This will work well for you.

Quote Originally Posted by FatButWeak View Post
    I'll take a stab at it.

Your goals are your own. Nobody here can judge your goals.

However, it does not seem you have read the book or learned about the program. The Starting Strength program is a program designed to develop full body strength by using the 5 basic barbell lifts (squat, benchpress, deadlift, powerclean and press) plus a very short list of accessory exercises that may include chinups, barbell curls, and dips (but not necessarily) and the linear progression of additional weight on the bar.

After becoming as strong as you can on the SS novice program - a period of time that is different for everyone but usually takes 3-9 months - you are ready for other forms of exercise selection and programming (programming means weight choice, reps, sets and frequency) to develop even greater strength. BUT, after completing the novice program you as an aspiring weightlifter may want to segue into more precise weightlifting programming.

At that time, using your overall increased full body strength, and what should be a concomitant increase in useful flexibility (and possible even a loss of bodyfat if you choose a reasonable, adult diet) you can fuck around with snatches and shit.

In short, follow the SS novice linear progression program to get nice and strong, and then go practice/play your sport. This will work well for you.
    That's gross. I already have Doug Hepburn's book and his training system is more superior than this shit you call Basic Barbell Training.

What about trolling a forum makes your tiny dick hard? I will never understand this motivation.

Is there a subreddit dedicated to trolling this board? A lot of guys show up simultaneosly every once in a while.

Quote Originally Posted by High_Level_Philosopher View Post
    ...is more superior than...
    What an ugly use of the English language. "Far superior to" would be the correct way to get your insult across without sounding like an idiot. You might as well have said "is more betterer".

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    What about trolling a forum makes your tiny dick hard? I will never understand this motivation.
    He's not trolling---that's wishful thinking---he's just a retard. You boomers have got to stop confusing trolling with being retarded.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    All posts about Olympic lifting and/or Bill Starr and/or The York Barbell Team from new or low count posters should be immediately flagged for suspicion.

starting strength coach development program
    I like the part where he looked into the camera and told us how much weight it was. Hadn't seen anyone do that yet.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast