starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Video: deadlift 859 x 3 in weightlifting shoes

Default Video: deadlift 859 x 3 in weightlifting shoes

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    A number of people on this board have asked whether it's better to deadlift in weightlifting shoes or barefoot, or in Chucks, or Vibrams Fivefingers, etc.. Rip has repeatedly said yes, deadlift in weightlifting shoes.

Here's some evidence that the shoes are probably a good idea. Double overhand, no straps, weightlifting shoes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DhwsCCtsaDk

Coach, sorry if this is too off-topic.

This video is interesting for several reasons. The guy is an Olympic lifter, and everybody knows that Olympic weightlifting is primarily about technique (at least in the US, where we regularly get our asses handed to us at international meets). This guy is simply TOO strong. Notice also that the bar leaves the ground when the scapulas are directly over the bar and the bar is over the mid-foot, as predicted by our pulling model. And notice that he manages to nearly complete 3 reps with a hook grip. And the shoes didn't hurt a thing.

ive seen this dude before, i just cudn't believe his strength

here he does some amazing lifts, (including seemingly effortless 150kg muscle snatch, and 400kg deadlift!!!):

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=65jovqRDaDs

Awesome.

Why does he (all Oly lifters, for that matter) drop into a squat position for awhile, then assume a pulling position right before the actual lift? Does that have something to do with trying to get a stretch reflex reaction out of pull?

I do not know. It has puzzled me for some time.

Wouldn't the upward movement of the hips generate some force since you already started accelarating? Kinda like a running vertical vs a standing vertical.

Quote Originally Posted by XTrainer View Post
    Awesome.

Why does he (all Oly lifters, for that matter) drop into a squat position for awhile, then assume a pulling position right before the actual lift? Does that have something to do with trying to get a stretch reflex reaction out of pull?
    I just started weightlifting at a proper athletics centre, and everybody here does that thing too. Maybe they are just sitting there, Asian style, having a think about the lift. Also popular is starting with the bar two feet out front, then rolling it back over the feet as the first part of the lift.

It's easier for me to tighten up my back and get into proper position after dropping down. I was insructed to do so after my coaches saw I had problems getting my back right in the initial position. Dunno why others do this, but this is why I do it.

I was actually talking about Koklyaev yesterday to one of my collegue's at the Chiropractic College where I'm teaching (Mike Wittmer, former Olympic weightlifter, son Jeff Wittmer who is a pretty good Oly weightlifter in his own right).

Anyway, I was talking about how watching some of Koklyaev's videos got me interested in adding more Olympic style lifts to my training programs. Wittmer said that Koklyaev wouldn't ever be an Olympic champion in weightlifting, but he could make some money in Strongman. I have no doubt about that after seeing some of his lifts.

But then again, if I've got time before going to the gym, I put on youtube and watch some Olympic lifters to get a little motivation.

On a side note, I want Koklyaev's back. Or at least I want to get as close as I can naturally.

starting strength coach development program
    I think you drop into the full squat position to visualize the lift, it is more comfortable than gripping the bar and just standing there bent over for a minute. You sit, adjust grip and picture the lift.

Also, notice in the second video of the 400Kg deadlift he has no shoes on.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast