starting strength gym
Page 41 of 59 FirstFirst ... 31394041424351 ... LastLast

Thread: Commentary #6: Global Warming

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Jared Hunt View Post
    The push for EVs is an environmental push. It's supposedly based on concern for the planet and fears of global warming/climate change.
    When it is pointed out that our current electrical grid is sometimes inefficient even without having to power a substantial percentage of personal travel, the response is that we can improve the grid, expand capacity, etc.

But if you read about how Biden and company plan to "modernize" the electrical grid, there's just a lot of hand-waving about wind and solar. No mention of nuclear or coal. One gets the impression, they aren't actually interested in increasing the supply of electricity.
    I also hear bits and pieces, as one does when one pays attention, about how this or that leftist billionaire wants to reduce the world's population.

So putting all of that together, the conclusion I draw is that they want to make the switch to EVs without significantly expanding the capacity of the grid and that they want to do this by decreasing the demand for electricity instead of by increasing the supply. In other words, they want us to stop reproducing and start dying faster.
    Good lord man. Not only are these the thoughts in your head but you decided to write them out as well?

Quote Originally Posted by Frivillesid View Post
    Good lord man. Not only are these the thoughts in your head but you decided to write them out as well?
    And this constitutes your refutation? Troll a different website.

How so? Is your point that you don't think it is far enough to make a a huge difference? If that was your point I agree and that is why I am not in a rush to go buy a new vehicle at the moment. As I said, my current car is paid off and is reasonably good on gas. Keeping my current vehicle will save me more money at the moment. But when the time does come to get a new vehicle I will purchase what will make the most sense for me financially at the time which is unlikely to be a car with an ICE.
    Are you deliberately trying to not mention the 15 minute cities that are being forced onto people? Where the population will be essentially jailed in their suburbs. I'll stick with my old diesel that I can repair myself and drive wherever I damn well please without it tracking me or turning itself off if I leave my allotted zone.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    And this constitutes your refutation? Troll a different website.
    He joined the forum specifically to comment on THIS thread. Imagine being this person.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Woodruff View Post
    Are you deliberately trying to not mention the 15 minute cities that are being forced onto people? Where the population will be essentially jailed in their suburbs. I'll stick with my old diesel that I can repair myself and drive wherever I damn well please without it tracking me or turning itself off if I leave my allotted zone.
    No, I am not avoiding it. I am sane and view this notion for what it is, an insane fearmongering talking point that does not deserve to be acknowledged. But may I suggest that you take this concept a step further and have each of these isolated districts start a lottery of sorts to select a tribute that will enter into a competition to fight to the death? Maybe the winning district will be given access to gas powered cars where they will be given the opportunity to drive into neighboring districts and run over their civilians as a way to help cull the population. Maybe females of child bearing age could be awarded more points to help with population control and thereby reducing energy needs even further.

And before anyone feigns anger at such a suggestion, there are several movie references in there which you will need to unpack.

No, I am not avoiding it. I am sane and view this notion for what it is, an insane fearmongering talking point that does not deserve to be acknowledged. But may I suggest that you take this concept a step further and have each of these isolated districts start a lottery of sorts to select a tribute that will enter into a competition to fight to the death? Maybe the winning district will be given access to gas powered cars where they will be given the opportunity to drive into neighboring districts and run over their civilians as a way to help cull the population. Maybe females of child bearing age could be awarded more points to help with population control and thereby reducing energy needs even further.

And before anyone feigns anger at such a suggestion, there are several movie references in there which you will need to unpack.
    I don't need to unpack it, I've referenced reality and all you can do in return is quip fictional movies. This is some low level trolling.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Donaldson View Post
    california rolling blackouts at DuckDuckGo

You're talking about a state that has already been failing to provide an adequate electric grid for quite some time, prior to forcing an explosion in EV-based demand. Your "perhaps" is the wrong adverb.
    I, for one apologize to my fellow participants in good faith here for my participation in feeding this one.

In retrospect, the first three syllables of the user ID should have tipped me off.

For those of you that are still keen to buy an EV, it appears that EV's are not designed for extreme climates. If you are going to get an EV move to a temperate climate, make sure you have the ability to charge your EV at home, do not over charge the battery or let it drop below 20% capacity. Be aware that a battery replacement can be expensive and any money you think you saved buy owning an EV can be lost if the battery is damaged or if your EV is involved in an accident and that insurance companies will tend to write an EV off even after a minor accident due to the unknown condition of the battery after it has an impact.

Here Is The SHOCKING Cost Of Electric Car Batteries From Every Car Brand - YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by wal View Post
    For those of you that are still keen to buy an EV, it appears that EV's are not designed for extreme climates. If you are going to get an EV move to a temperate climate, make sure you have the ability to charge your EV at home, do not over charge the battery or let it drop below 20% capacity. Be aware that a battery replacement can be expensive and any money you think you saved buy owning an EV can be lost if the battery is damaged or if your EV is involved in an accident and that insurance companies will tend to write an EV off even after a minor accident due to the unknown condition of the battery after it has an impact.

Here Is The SHOCKING Cost Of Electric Car Batteries From Every Car Brand - YouTube
    You have some good points, but a lot of these things can be easily mitigated. I would say that for anyone who is considering buying an EV, the ability to charge it at home is very important. I probably would not consider it for myself if I did not have that ability. Without this ability it would become a huge PITA to own and keep charged for even a daily commute. Honestly, I think this will be a very big challenge for California to overcome given their current plans to phase out the sale of new gas powered cars in the next 10 years.

Agreed, the efficiency is reduced in the cold so you will need to consider the overall range of the vehicle. If your daily drive is pushing the range of the vehicle, it probably would not be a good choice. This is why I said if you drive long distances you would be better off with a gas powered car. Alternatively, you could also consider a plug-in hybrid which would help to alleviate range anxiety. This is why I mentioned my 15-minute commute, not because there was some strange conspiracy regarding the fear of being trapped into some zone.

You also have a point regarding possible complications with insurance, but that video does leave me with several questions that were not addressed. What specifically were the damages to the battery that caused it to not be covered by the warranty and what caused them? The guy mentioned that maybe he hit a rock or something, but the specifics were not addressed and that mention was only speculation. For example was the guy taking the car off-roading? I would also like to know what insurance the guy had. Was his insurance through some budget insurer, or someone more reputable? Regardless, the insurance issues would still be a concern, but that is something that will be addressed over time as EVs become more common, and nothing to do with the overall viability of the EV market in the future.

starting strength coach development program
    Yeah, they are scaring people with movie scenarios. It seems to be quite effective though.

Page 41 of 59 FirstFirst ... 31394041424351 ... LastLast