starting strength gym
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: It's over

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    I think the paranoia about heavy lifting lies somewhat on the shoulders of lifters in general and powerlifters in particular.

Training with the barbell is damn near the safest thing you can do, especially relative to its benefits. Hell, *powerlifting* is probably the safest sport there is: even curling presents the hard to control hazard of slip and fall on the ice. But because heavy weight is correctly observed to be stressful, it is easily imagined to be dangerous. And a certain subfaction of lifters will poor self perception, or an overreliance on the accumulation of social capital, play into this heavily, and start to talk about powerlifting like it's Vietnam. You don't even KNOW what it's like under the heavy bar, man. It takes a REAL HARD SONOVABITCH to load less than three times his bodyweight onto an ergonomically constructed, knurled grip piece of metal and move it two feet off the ground. You might shit your spine right out. Your eyes might pop out like champagne corks. Your nipples'll fall right off and burst into flames. I heard a powerlifter at my gym talk about how if "you make one mistake deadlifting it'll fuck up your body." How? When? WHO? Who has this happened to? According to these people, I and half the people on this board should be dead.

At the top end of training frequency, a trainee might do...50 reps of heavy squats in a week? If any movement causes your joints to degrade doing it fifty times in a week, your prospects for being of much use to anyone seem relatively limited.

Doctors are a fucking cancer.

They have sicked me more than they are cured me.

Thank FUCK I don’t powerlift.

Attia is an interesting fella - he could arguably be accused of (high-functioning) Dunning-Kreuger syndrome based on his online history of educating people on cholesterol (well) and then at some point he got too chummy with a certain lipidologist and now believes Apolipoprotein B is causal of heart disease and statins are a reasonable 'cure' for high ApoB. I suppose he could live forever and prove me the idiot.

Today he taught me what a belt-squat is and the real purpose of a squat rack. '

Axial loading' will haunt me in my nightmares.

As retarded as the opinions of these doctors and former lifters are, it is the new trend in the soy-fitness world.
    Gotta scare that 15 year old kid into thinking he will somehow be strong at 80 years old if he avoids being strong when he is 15.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernLifter View Post
    Doctors are a fucking cancer.

They have sicked me more than they are cured me.
    Broad brush-stroke much?

Quote Originally Posted by Ads View Post
    Attia is an interesting fella - he could arguably be accused of (high-functioning) Dunning-Kreuger syndrome based on his online history of educating people on cholesterol (well) and then at some point he got too chummy with a certain lipidologist and now believes Apolipoprotein B is causal of heart disease and statins are a reasonable 'cure' for high ApoB. I suppose he could live forever and prove me the idiot.
    "Lipidologist." That cracks me up.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathon Sullivan View Post
    Broad brush-stroke much?
    He's from South America. They may be that bad there. They're pretty bad here, with a few exceptions.

The topic led me to this video
    This is what a 90 year old looks like after 70 years of powerlifting with questionable technique, but standard advanced-lifter linear periodization.

Quote Originally Posted by Yngvi View Post
    As retarded as the opinions of these doctors and former lifters are, it is the new trend in the soy-fitness world.
    Gotta scare that 15 year old kid into thinking he will somehow be strong at 80 years old if he avoids being strong when he is 15.
    I don’t necessarily think it’s the “soy-fitness” trend you’re describing. This seems to be the “Joe Rogan” era trend. He is big on the high volume, high intensity kettle bell stuff, and this seems to go hand in hand also with his “low carb/carnivore” diet trend. At least from what I’ve been seeing a lot. Maybe has something to do with their “optimal diet” and not having the energy to do heavy weights? I don’t know, but It's just stupid

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonathon Sullivan View Post

"Lipidologist." That cracks me up.
    One can only assume this affords the title holder a special hat and front row seats at all pharma conferences. Perhaps they all wrestle or compare body counts to win an Ancel Keyes cup.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast