starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mattress Recommendations

Default Mattress Recommendations

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Been going down a mattress rabbit hole lately. Obviously a lot comes down to personal preference and there is no shortage of opinions online which makes it difficult to sift through.

I figured I’d ask on a forum of people who lift and weigh north of 200lbs rather than watching random youtube reviews.

I saw that you recommended purple mattresses a while back and was curious how its been holding up. I tried one out and liked it but am kinda worried about the longevity of it.

I've had mine for probably 4 years, and it's fine. It's the original design, no pillow top or soft shit.

I spent several years and thousands of dollars trying to find a mattress that wouldn't leave me with back pain in the morning, with no success.

Strangely enough, after I exited the rat race and moved away from the city, I sleep very well every night; and, that's on a 50 year old mattress in the spare bedroom! I keep the master bedroom with the big new expensive mattress for when my daughters visit.

I made a lot of life changes that may have been the solution for a good night's sleep, but I'm still amazed I can sleep on this crappy old mattress and wake up feeling great in the morning!

Most people will disagree. I figured it out by sleeping in hotels with good mattresses. They make a big difference. For a conventional inner-spring mattress, Simmons makes a hotel mattress that is excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Most people will disagree. I figured it out by sleeping in hotels with good mattresses. They make a big difference. For a conventional inner-spring mattress, Simmons makes a hotel mattress that is excellent.
    Yes, I think my issue was stress, inflammation, and prescription drugs that messed up my breathing.

I cleaned up my diet, stopped all the prescriptions, and no longer have to wake up at 5am to get ready for a very stressful drive to and from work every day.

I can pretty much sleep on anything now and still wake up feeling good. The clear sinuses appear to be a game changer as well.

I've taken a close look at this, and the best advice I have seen is to buy from a local manufacturer, if you can.

It's extremely hard to parse through the marketing. Welcome - The Mattress Underground is a great resource.

We bought a mattress from a recommended place on there, and it's the best mattress I've ever slept on. It makes a difference.

Shoes, mattresses, tires, and meat sources are so often overlooked...

Now, if anyone has any suggestions RE pillows, I'm listening.

Purple makes a damned fine pillow.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Manhattan View Post
    Shoes, mattresses, tires, and meat sources are so often overlooked...

Now, if anyone has any suggestions RE pillows, I'm listening.
    Tires?! I've had no issues with mine, but I was supposed to make a 500 mile road trip this weekend, so I thought might as well stop by the tire store for a rotation and balance. Good shop too. Unfortunately, two wheel studs got stripped out in the process, so now I've got to tear off the tires, calipers, and rotors, and press out the old wheel studs, find some replacements and new lug nuts tomorrow before I can hit the road!

As far as shoes/boots are concerned, made in USA footwear (Thorogood, Lucchese) have served me well over the past years. It makes a big difference in reducing back pain to have good quality boots.

I could definitely use some less lumpy pillows too!

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Purple makes a damned fine pillow.
    Yeah, I need new ones and have been considering these for a long while.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast