starting strength gym

Thread: Another squat grip question

Default Another squat grip question

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hello Rip,

I have read all the articles and seen all the videos about squat grip even those of affiliated channels. I'm on my way of reading the forum posts too. Yet I'm still in elbow and wrist pain even if I squat just the bar. I have some questions.
    1. Is there something like too narrow grip, even if the bar is in the correct low bar place and wrists straight?
    2.Also, after positioning, do you let the arms be and just focus on bringing the scapula together and the chest up?
    3.Related to 2, what's your opinion on cues like try to actively bend the bar with your hands towards your chest. Or think of pressing the bar like a push press on the way up.

Video?

Actively bending the bar is a good way to apply torque across the arm, which causes all kinds of problems. I find that the best way of thinking of the grip is that it is mediated through the shoulder and upper arms. The lower arms and wrists should be passive participants.

Yes, that's what it feels like to me. The people in the comments treated the cues like a revelation, so I thought I'd give it a try. It's my first week into the program and my means are very poor, but I'll try to post a video or picture of the grip.

Your elbows are too high. Let the lowered forearms take some of the weight.

Yeah, that explains the pain. I can't find a way to cue this though. Does the "scapula back and down" still hold? Do I add "trying to rotate the bar towards the front from down under"?

starting strength coach development program
    This will take a platform coach.