starting strength gym

Thread: Ideal age to start lifting by

Default Ideal age to start lifting by

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I was wondering, what would be the age, that if you haven't started seriously lifting by, you will never reach your ultimate potential? Maybe 25?

Maybe.

The only upper limit on your potential is time. So pretty much any delay will mean you will fall that much further short of your ultimate potential.

In my opinion, the sooner you start a sport, the better. But it is just an opinion based on what I have seen and experienced in my short life.

What would you do with the information if given a specific number? Like if you knew the number was "27." What would you do with that information?
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

Quote Originally Posted by Levin View Post
    I was wondering, what would be the age, that if you haven't started seriously lifting by, you will never reach your ultimate potential? Maybe 25?
    The old saw comes to mind about "The best time to play a tree is twenty years ago. The second best time is today."

See also one I wrote down from Dr. Sullivan: "Just start where you start. It will be the right place."

I ask because I'm thinking about joining the millitary, and know I will not be able to seriously train consistenly while in. I'm also already 23. Would do 3 years.

I ask because I'm thinking about joining the millitary, and know I will not be able to seriously train consistenly while in. I'm also already 23. Would do 3 years.
    So, if the answer were "23," would you delay joining the military?
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

On the one hand, there are no guarantees. On the other hand, individuals vary, so there's no way to know for sure. On the other other hand, at least in the US, military tours vary wildly in circumstance. Some people get huge and strong while they're in, and some don't, depending on MOS, duty station, deployments, etc.

Dwelling on contrafactual postulation is a losing game - you can't run against a control group, just make decisions and see how they play out. It's a game of principles and risk assessment/management. Whether you join the military or not, strength training will help you out over not training. Whether the loss of three years of (possibly) better training is worth it against the benefits you stand to gain from serving a hitch in the military is a decision that only you can make, and you must make it with incomplete information.

Keep in mind that remaining a civilian doesn't guarantee optimal training either...a lot can happen in either kind of life.

starting strength coach development program
    Probably not, but I was kicking around the idea of something in the reserves or guard, but I know that there would be a lot of time gone there too. But it was also just more of a general question tbh, and I guess I'm looking for some peace of mind that I'm not loosing out too much because I will do the 3 years most likely.