starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Missed muscles in lower body

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Brookfine View Post
    I would anticipate it does to an extent, I just wouldn't be able to say what extent. As a 6'3" sprinter though, I would anticipate that if there is any relevant strength development that can be done I should prioritize it, it's the only way that I can avoid getting completely smoked by a bunch of 140lb 21 year olds.
    Are you an elite level sprinter?

The OP's "background" is a bit of a tangle of assumptions, and conclusions based on those assumptions, and then speculation based on those conclusions.

This thread is not going to end well.

I'm still trying to figure out how the squat omits the adductors.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    By being six inches high

Been squatting a long time...got adductorz like a sow has tits.

Quote Originally Posted by Maybach View Post
    By being six inches high
    Oof.

High school athletes are uniquely motivated to NOT squat to depth, and are aided by plenty of competing direction, advice or evidence indicating that such isn't necessary or beneficial, regardless of veracity. It's a tough sell to them, their coaches, and their PE teachers. Deprogramming the PE / strength training teacher's wide-feet look-up bar-on-neck feet-straight-ahead squat with its accompanying hip impingement is very challenging. Some kids see the light. Most are too proud to take the temporary hit to the poundage and get their knees out and the bar off their neck. Tough to convince kids who have convinced themselves they're experts due to their 3x5x255 squat to 4-inches-above-proper-depth. As if the ass kicking they get every fall isn't enough. Don't compare yourselves with yourselves.

Point being, lack of depth is the default for young athletes, in my neck of the woods.

I don't know for certain, but squatting after some time off has the area around my alleged longus sore enough to be the main inhibitor to comfortable movement for a few days.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    gracilis is biarticular

it may or may not get lengthened (or 'worked') so much when the knee bends in the squat

if the tear is in the upper belly of the gracilis, he thinks the pain is coming from the other adductors

If it's biarticular, it operates isometrically. Like all the hamstrings. In contraction under a load.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Brookfine View Post
    Hey Rip,

Background: I have a pulled Adductor Longus which triggers sharp pain when it is used. Despite this I have been able to squat, row, power-clean, and deadlift with no issues. This leads me to believe that the Adductor Longus isn't worked at all by these movements, and has me wondering if there are actually many muscles in my lower body that the program doesn't work at all.

Ask: Is there some kind of movement (or collection of movements) I can be doing to fill these gaps? I'm a sprinter and it's important for my sport that there are no weak-points as this can cause injury. I'm very concerned about my adductors and my hip flexors.

Thanks Rip!
    Or maybe all those movements you mentioned use it well, that is, in the right direction. And they don't force it at a useless angle.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12