starting strength gym

Thread: Pull up vs chin up

Default Pull up vs chin up

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hi Rip.
    You mentioned on the revisiting the barbell row video that the under hand grip could hurt the shoulders. Any comments on the same subject regarding chin ups? Is the pull up more friendly to the shoulder joint than chin ups? Also which of the two helps bring the chest to the bar more efficiently? I mean mechanically and anatomically wise. Not like saying "the chin up helps you put more power to the movement, so you're more likely to touch your chest to the bar".
    Thanks.

Refresh my memery: what exactly did I say about how a supine grip hurts the shoulders in the barbell row?

Quote Originally Posted by Sstrpls View Post
    Hi Rip.
    You mentioned on the revisiting the barbell row video that the under hand grip could hurt the shoulders. Any comments on the same subject regarding chin ups? Is the pull up more friendly to the shoulder joint than chin ups? Also which of the two helps bring the chest to the bar more efficiently? I mean mechanically and anatomically wise. Not like saying "the chin up helps you put more power to the movement, so you're more likely to touch your chest to the bar".
    Thanks.
    I'm no coach, but my experience is pull ups are much harder to do than chins; I get no shoulder pain from pull ups, but chins cause some shoulder and elbow pain/impingement.

I switch them up , but I think they are both excellent.

Yeah I am talking bullshit. You mention the proximal bicep tendons. Not the shoulder. I have a bad shoulder so I probably heard what I wanted to hear. Does this mean there is no stress of the shoulder in either exercise? What about the range of motion part of the question ? So mkm5 you experience more shoulder pain in chin ups right?

Both of my long head bicep tendons are ruptured, and I do chins every week.

Quote Originally Posted by Sstrpls View Post
    Yeah I am talking bullshit. You mention the proximal bicep tendons. Not the shoulder. I have a bad shoulder so I probably heard what I wanted to hear. Does this mean there is no stress of the shoulder in either exercise? What about the range of motion part of the question ? So mkm5 you experience more shoulder pain in chin ups right?
    Yes, but I think it might be because I can do a lot more chins than pulls, maybe it's something else...

I watch it, and if I get some shoulder pain I'll just switch back over to pull ups.

starting strength coach development program
    Would you mind sharing what you did that caused these two injuries??