starting strength gym
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Serious question about Smith machine

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Leg press is actually the best choice for the 2 factor model.

Quote Originally Posted by McBee99 View Post
    Why?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Why?
    In the purist form

Load, recruit, stimulate the tissue

Recover

Apply that stronger body to the skills of the sport acquired through practice

The leg press strengthens the whole body?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    The leg press strengthens the whole body?
    The smart money would add chest press and pulldown/row for maximum stimulation.

This approach being for those seeking pure benefit and not maximum reward, for which Rip’s method is arguably supreme.

Fascinating.

Quote Originally Posted by McBee99 View Post
    I guess this makes sense, given how I was told by someone "who has 20 years in the sports performance industry" that the two-factor model is becoming "outdated." It's all heading that way. Better to submit now.

Isn’t a benefit the same thing as a reward?

The former is from the Latin literally translated as “it makes well” or “to make well;” the latter is from the Old French for “payment for an act done.”

Quote Originally Posted by Bluefan75 View Post
    I guess this makes sense, given how I was told by someone "who has 20 years in the sports performance industry" that the two-factor model is becoming "outdated." It's all heading that way. Better to submit now.
    Your observations are correct Bluefan

One set to failure on Hammer Strength/Nautilus would be lightyears ahead of what goes on now with the Ex Phys S&C “coaches”.

I just did a H.I.T. workout, now going to head home to drink whiskey/scotch and watch DVD’s.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenni View Post
    This is why I try not to discuss this shit with my friends. The truth is that your buddy is avoiding something that an almost 50 year old woman does multiple times a week and that objectively makes him a pussy on this topic. There's no excuse. None. Get the hell under the bar and do it right and your knees get stronger along with your ability to stabilize the bar. The Smith machine is half-assery. That's the argument. You wanna be the guy who half-asses your life?
    Thanks for making me laugh Jenni

I had a chat with my friend yesterday. He showed me the "program" they got him on. It involves lots of machines, dumbbell lunges, hip thrusts and more of the standard "health and fitness" fare. Even some stiff-legged deadlifts in there. They have him do 10 different exercises per workout!
    He mentioned he would want to get back to "also" doing the core exercises, and I advised him to do them at the start of the workout so he wouldn't be fatigued.
    I tried to articulate as well as I could why these exercises won't make him strong, and if he wants to do the main lifts only once a week he's not going to see any numbers go up. This made him a bit unsure, so let's see how it turns out.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast