starting strength gym
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: Serious question about Smith machine

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by McBee99 View Post
    Well yes your squat was down, because you had not done squats in 6 weeks.
    And yet, after years of squatting and not leg pressing, I started my leg presses far above anything I'd ever done previously when I had leg pressed as a younger man...

So barbell training alone drove up my leg press, but leg presses alone allowed my barbell lifts to decline. Huh...

Whatever is going on in this thread aside, I’ve been thinking about this. A 405 squat in a Smith machine is “far” “easier” than a 405 barbell squat, so obviously the bollus of stress is not equivalent at the same load. Perhaps the increases when utilizing such a device peter out for a similar reason pressing movements stall first, i.e., insufficient stress to force an adaptation.

I’m sure many here will say “duh” to that. My contention is that because of the nature of the movement performed in such a fixture, you can never really do what you need to do to increase the stress if a strength adaptation is desired. If there’s insufficient stress, you could add more reps or sets, but that means lighter weights. You could add additional days, but that just means more “volume,” not weight on the bar. You could force more weight on the bar, but because you’re not eliciting a strength adaptation, you fail and then drop reps.

This is probably related to Santana’s Theorem that the fewer the number of joints the movement involves, the greater the number of reps are required to accomplish the relative same strength adaptation. The causative mechanism are the same, i.e., stabilizer muscles and the fine balance component.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by McBee99 View Post
    One rep max? For what? Leg press competitions? Hard to compare different machines anyways.

And what exactly is “real life”. I thought strength was strength?

No I am not AI, and I have posted more but I guess Rip censors them.

Also, are you trying to suggest something with the pronouns comment?

The barbell squat can be a fabulous display of strength, but not necessarily an accurate measure of strength.
    No, this is not AI, because AI is better than this.

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910