starting strength gym
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: Serious question about Smith machine

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Yeah, Chase CLEARLY got to his press by leaving pounds on the table. I bet he could also add weight if he tried keto!

Quote Originally Posted by McBee99 View Post
    I would be willing to bet Chase could add 5lbs to his OHP max, be it strict or “standing bench” as some like to say, with a little intelligently programed machine work.
    How many competitive lifters have you trained that put weight on their squat, press, deadlift, or bench with "a little intelligently programed machine work"? How much weight?

Quote Originally Posted by Maybach View Post
    Yeah, Chase CLEARLY got to his press by leaving pounds on the table. I bet he could also add weight if he tried keto!
    Not sure what the first line means?

And he actually eats mostly beef/pork from what I have read so your “joke” is not that far off.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    How many competitive lifters have you trained that put weight on their squat, press, deadlift, or bench with "a little intelligently programed machine work"? How much weight?
    I do not train competitive lifters Rip, kinda like someone else on this forum. Whats that old saying, people who live in stone houses shouldn’t throw glass? Something like that.

I do not train competitive lifters Rip, kinda like someone else on this forum. Whats that old saying, people who live in stone houses shouldn’t throw glass? Something like that.
    Are you insinuating that I have never trained competitive lifters, or been a competitive lifter myself? Try to be concise.

Are you insinuating that I have never trained competitive lifters, or been a competitive lifter myself? Try to be concise.
    No, I was not saying that at all. I know you have/were. It was a reference to some of your critics who claim you have “never made anyone strong”.

I am merely pointing out that machine work as a supplement to max barbell lifts may be something to explore.

He's certainly asserting that his methods could train at least one competitive lifter measurably better than that lifter's coaches have to date...

I am merely pointing out that machine work as a supplement to max barbell lifts may be something to explore.
    You think I haven't explored that?

You think I haven't explored that?
    I don't know thats why I was bringing it up.

I have been in this business for 48 years. I have explored all of it.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Donaldson View Post
    He's certainly asserting that his methods could train at least one competitive lifter measurably better than that lifter's coaches have to date...
    Which is a bit wacky seeing as his method only uses machines.

Everyone has their own opinion of course. I'm sure you could find someone out there who truly believes the shake weight is the best training tool ever made. They're not going to have a fun time defending that position as objective truth though.

Even the most hypertrophic focused, purely aesthetics, lifters incorporate free weights into their routine. Being a "strictly machine lifter" is not the norm for any expert or advanced athlete in any field. His view is shared by himself & people who sell machines.

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112