starting strength gym

Thread: What would you do?

Default What would you do?

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Figured I'd ask your view on this. So, I have had both my shoulders operated on few years back. Both sides were the same as far as trama and repair done. Bilateral slap tear with bicep tearing, which was treated with a bicep tenodesis. Subacormal decompression due to both sides having roughly an extra 4mm enlargment of the articular surface of the acromion bone. Also had very very small superspantus partial that was about 5% deep, this of course was treated with a smooth over. All this was done between 2020 and 2022. With all of this being said do you think me doing dips would be a good idea? I haven't done them since before 2018 and I think that they would be useful if I ever get on a 4 day split. Of course if the risk out weighs the reward I'll just stick to using the press, close grips and pin presses for upperbody work. At times I feel I should just be a 3x a week press guy and bench 1x a week.

27 Years old
    250 body weight
    70 inches
    Bench 1x5 320
    Squat 1x5 502
    Deadlift 1x5 570
    Press 1x5 195

Why do you want to do dips?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Why do you want to do dips?
    They could be a great assistance to the bench by helping the triceps, so the set up could be this for a 4 day split. (Only showing upper body.) This I'm guessing would be an example of a intermediate bench focus set up.
    Monday
    Bench 5x5
    Dips 3x5 weighted

Thrusday
    Press 5x5
    Close grip bench 3x5

I'm still milking a HLM set up right now by spreading the H days through out the week. I will be milking that dry before I try a different approach. I just like to having plans in place, if that's even possible. I really don't want to have to start doing 2 step forward 1 step back style programing till it's an absolute must, because who want to be a novice or in my case an intermediate? I do