starting strength gym

Thread: Training considerations for Ehlers Danlos Syndrome?

Default Training considerations for Ehlers Danlos Syndrome?

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hello, new to the forum and been having a good time with NLP.

My question is about if my girlfriend should train with Ehlers Danlos Syndrome and if there should be any medical/supplement/training considerations?

The things I am aware of is that joints can dislocate easily, pain, inflammation, and dysautonomia is pretty bad. Ive seen how much she gets visibly inflamed(feels like tissue swells out like a whole inch) so I'm 100% sure this is not a perception issue.
    As far as actual strength she seems surprisingly fine, so as long as movements are performed carefully I think should be okay. What I'm thinking is that if she has a flare up it becomes basically impossible to train so a strict schedule is impossible, and also there's an apparent threshold where if the workout is too much she experiences severe pain and inflammation for even weeks, but seems very dependent on volume.

So overall my though was to have her take in extra electrolytes+bicarbonate and start training at lower volume and with lower weight increments so she doesn't run into a wall with these flare ups.
    I'm hoping it can actually reduce her pain and inflammation over time just isn't a lot of info out there on managing the flare ups.

I think she can do the regular program for women. Pay close attention to her joint positions at lockout. You have read the book?

I skimmed since I've been doing okay but I'll give it another serious read front to back before she starts anything, I don't want to take chances. If it seems that the program is okay for someone like her I'll just see if she can tolerate it without getting the flare ups.
    Is anyone aware of any supplement consideration for EDS and training, I think extraordinary sodium intake is recommended for the orthostatic intolerance and she gets frequent muscle cramping and I've seen you mention high potassium intake as a remedy?

I think the odd thing is that the inflammation she gets from a flare seems very different to how DOMS is described in the book since it seems to be either no pain or excruciating with no in between maybe most similar to rheumatoid arthritis, unlike DOMS where it's proportional to the eccentric work done.

I have no experience with this severe a case, sorry.