starting strength gym

Thread: Ever had a gymnast in the gym?

Default Ever had a gymnast in the gym?

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    I was eating lunch the other day and the cafe had men’s gymnastics on the television. I’ve had a passing interest in women’s gymnastics since I hit puberty but this was the first time I can recall watching men compete. It was impressive.

I don’t know how what they do would translate to the barbell lifts and was curious if you’d ever seen one attempt barbell training. My completely uneducated guess is they’re not far from a bodyweight press.

They need to keep their bodyweight down, and that's not what we do. I've never trained one.

Quote Originally Posted by KeithI View Post
    I was eating lunch the other day and the cafe had men’s gymnastics on the television. I’ve had a passing interest in women’s gymnastics since I hit puberty but this was the first time I can recall watching men compete. It was impressive.

I don’t know how what they do would translate to the barbell lifts and was curious if you’d ever seen one attempt barbell training. My completely uneducated guess is they’re not far from a bodyweight press.
    I talked a gymnast into coming to the weight room with me a couple of times. At a very light body weight (much under 150 for sure) he benched 275lbs his very first time in the gym...could not squat 135 the next time we lifted.

sb

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Berry View Post
    I talked a gymnast into coming to the weight room with me a couple of times. At a very light body weight (much under 150 for sure) he benched 275lbs his very first time in the gym...could not squat 135 the next time we lifted.

sb
    That was about what I expected.

My daughter has been competing in girl's powerlifting in Oklahoma for the past four years and the sport has really taken off. True powerlifting, no assistive clothing allowed. In the 136lb girls' class the same girl has dominated the last three years and been untouchable, set a record for 375lb raw squat (quite the feat imo). Anyhoo, nobody has been able to touch this chick until last season from out of nowhere a girl beat her in a meet. When the state meet rolled around we were trying to find this new mystery girl, and the moment she pulled off her t-shirt to reveal her tank top lifting attire, we knew this had to be the gal. Her traps were as big as mine, she was absolutely shredded as well; we quizzed her about some her sports history. Lo and behold she was a gymnast. Don't fully remember her lifts, got second with about a 320 squat, state record 175 bench, and pulled about 3 plates. She weighed like 130. I think gymnastics is the all around best foundational sport to convert to any other sport for youth.

Resist the temptation to generalize about the value of this particular sport, when what you're probably seeing is the genetic endowment of this particular kid. Caitlin Clark's "strength coaches" have made this mistake recently.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Resist the temptation to generalize about the value of this particular sport, when what you're probably seeing is the genetic endowment of this particular kid. Caitlin Clark's "strength coaches" have made this mistake recently.
    What have Caitlin Clark’s coaches said?