starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SS Radio #277: Where I talk for about an hour.

Default SS Radio #277: Where I talk for about an hour.

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024

I agree with your opinions on the olympics. I never watch them. A couple things thought:

It appears weightlifting will be an event in 2028: Weightlifting confirmed on the programme of the Olympic Games Los Angeles 2028 – International Weightlifting Federation
    Weightlifting, threatened with exclusion from the Olympics, has decided to 'change its culture'

I think it's important to point out, the boxers in the women's division of this years olympics that are causing controversy. I don't think its approproate to describe them as boys or men. I do agree they should not be allowed to box in the women's division. Here is a good article breaking it down: XY Athletes in Women’s Olympic Boxing: The Paris 2024 Controversy Explained

also: i just got in this argument with my buddy who loves trap bar. I always tout low bar squat over the other squats bc you can lift the most weight. I know this from experience bc I have messed around with a HB squat and front squat. But is that also true in trap bar DL vs conventional DL? Can people normally trap bar DL more than they conventional DL ? I have thankfully never trap bar DL'd.

Too bad we can't see the full article.

literally the text from my buddy: "So I’ve trap bar deadlifted 605 but I’ve only conventional deadlifted 595. Using your theory, wouldn’t I be better off using the trap bar because I can lift more weight so I would get stronger "

Quote Originally Posted by peng View Post
    I agree with your opinions on the olympics. I never watch them. A couple things thought:

It appears weightlifting will be an event in 2028: Weightlifting confirmed on the programme of the Olympic Games Los Angeles 2028 – International Weightlifting Federation
    Weightlifting, threatened with exclusion from the Olympics, has decided to 'change its culture'

I think it's important to point out, the boxers in the women's division of this years olympics that are causing controversy. I don't think its approproate to describe them as boys or men. I do agree they should not be allowed to box in the women's division. Here is a good article breaking it down: XY Athletes in Women’s Olympic Boxing: The Paris 2024 Controversy Explained
    Unless this mindset changes, I don't think we will see an end to men competing in women's sports.
    Time to call a man a man, even if it hurts his feelings.
    Of course nobody wants to be known as a deformed/malformed/misformed man, but it would be nothing short of cowardly to play word games that evade this basic Truth.

literally the text from my buddy: "So I’ve trap bar deadlifted 605 but I’ve only conventional deadlifted 595. Using your theory, wouldn’t I be better off using the trap bar because I can lift more weight so I would get stronger "
    The geometry of the trap bar would be important here.

Quote Originally Posted by Yngvi View Post
    Unless this mindset changes, I don't think we will see an end to men competing in women's sports.
    Time to call a man a man, even if it hurts his feelings.
    Of course nobody wants to be known as a deformed/malformed/misformed man, but it would be nothing short of cowardly to play word games that evade this basic Truth.
    i see what you are saying. but these are children that are declared female at birth and don't have male genitalia. my opinion is, you are a "male" only if you have a penis at birth. these are very specific situations that have nothing to do with the trans movement

The governing body had to change the doping rules and testing protocols for weightlifting to be allowed back in the Olympics but there will be weightlifting in the 2028 Olympics. I thought the weight classes for Olympic weightlifting were changed to eliminate all records which occurred when doping was widespread. It might be having an effect because world records are rare now at the Olympics except for that freak Nasar from Bulgaria.

There was a move to eliminate all wrestling in 2013 because it was not competitive across the world and there was no women's division. A coalition of supporters from Russia, USA and Iran (strange bedfellows at the time) got this action reversed by reducing the number of weight classes and requiring a qualification procedure similar to weightlifting (shortening the length of competition) and with the addition of women's freestyle wrestling which has become very popular.

I honestly didn't know anyone watched the opening ceremony at the Olympics but I do watch Americans in freestyle wrestling, selective weight classes in weightlifting and US men's and women's volleyball (indoor, not beach) since I coached it for 15 years. It's probably the only television I watch during the year except for tornado alerts in the spring.

starting strength coach development program
    i see what you are saying. but these are children that are declared female at birth and don't have male genitalia. my opinion is, you are a "male" only if you have a penis at birth. these are very specific situations that have nothing to do with the trans movement
    Can we all at least agree that the twisted new definition and implementation of liberalism, which protects and exalts every exception to the rule, is what led to a perverse tyranny of the minority that got us to where we are today? I cannot find any other logical explanation for how discussions over who really is/isn't a male based on the chromosomes hidden behind their actual genitalia at birth actually became a thing in the modern West of the 2000s.
    I suppose the inflection point when the celebration of the exception to the rule started becoming widespread in the States was in the 60s?? Why don't the populations of the 2nd and 3rd-world countries get into heated debates over 1% issues like men born with inverted dicks!? The tired, hackneyed creed that it's simply because They Aren't Free Like Us no longer placates a shrinking part of the masses, thankfully!

We don't need to become more Authoritarian to kill this poisonous, masochistic principle of exalting the exception to the rule, it's easier than that and this exaggerative strawman is what TPTB use to keep their disgusting tyranny of the minority strung around our necks, so that the masses will beg to keep the yoke of modern Liberalism on them, dragging us further and further back towards serfdom.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast