starting strength gym

Thread: 3 day vs 4 day in seasoned lifters

Default 3 day vs 4 day in seasoned lifters

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    At what point of progession do you not like 3 day splits? I have seen in the book they are the best course for novice and the bulk of a intermediate. At what what point do you think it is better to split stress into 4 days per week, or is this just a personal preference?

By the time you're a seasoned lifter, you will know which to use.

As I am seeing with me, good point. The pattern I am seeing is the closer one gets to his genetic peak the more individual variables become. Such as to program 3 day vs 4 day or what percent of offsets to use on the lighter day or to use a lighter lift by nature.

The four day vs three day is a decision based on practical constraints. If your Monday workouts take four hours, split it into two.

Quote Originally Posted by Maybach View Post
    The four day vs three day is a decision based on practical constraints. If your Monday workouts take four hours, split it into two.
    There's a recovery aspect as well. If you're squatting three days a week and deadlifting on the light day, that might not give your legs enough time to recover properly. With a 4-day split you won't be hitting your legs as much.

Ive gone over this time and time again...i really like the feeling of full body sessions so I have done a lot of HLM and 3 day TM. But inevitably as I progress, the H day or the V day become too time consuming and too stressful to be realistically acccomplished week in and week out, so splitting up the volume squat and volume bench seem to be helpful. Then, as I near a meet, I will tough it out for 8 weeks and do a 3 day TM to get in "meet shape" as PL meets are of course full body. Or at the very least, keep all 3 lifts in the Intensity day.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Cole Gorton View Post
    Ive gone over this time and time again...i really like the feeling of full body sessions so I have done a lot of HLM and 3 day TM. But inevitably as I progress, the H day or the V day become too time consuming and too stressful to be realistically acccomplished week in and week out, so splitting up the volume squat and volume bench seem to be helpful. Then, as I near a meet, I will tough it out for 8 weeks and do a 3 day TM to get in "meet shape" as PL meets are of course full body. Or at the very least, keep all 3 lifts in the Intensity day.
    Cole, I really like that you've figured this out for yourself over time and experience. This is an excellent microcosm of both exercise vs. training (enjoying full-body workouts - exercise vs. splitting them up to keep getting stronger - training) and the two-factor model (training for strength vs. practicing for meets).

Nicely done and nicely stated, sir.