starting strength gym

Thread: Rip: A Home Gym May Be In Your Immediate Future

Default Rip: A Home Gym May Be In Your Immediate Future

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024

I'd like to contribute a personal observation.

I once read somewhere while I was still going to commercial gyms that there are basically 3 types of people that use the gym, and I found it to ring very true.

1. People going for social aspect. Spin, zumba, and that kind of shit.
    2. People that go only because they pay the fee, and they are going to use the services they pay for. The traditional model depends on a large number of these people getting lazy one day.
    3. People genuinely there to improve their body / health.

Starting Strength will generally self select for the third group heavily.

I was part of group three for a couple years before we had our kid. After he came, both the travel time to the gym and the time there didn't blend well with a very young child so I got my bar, weights, bench, and a rack. About the same time I decided that if i was going to have all this crap I should stop 'fucking around' in my little self built weight room and do a program, and that's when I found Starting Strength. One of the best things I've ever done for myself was reading the book and doing the program. I'd watch the SS youtube videos on form on repeat while training.

If you are here and have the space in your home, ditch your gym membership (unless its at a SS gym / one with a SS coach) and buy the equipment. You can get started for about 1k with decent quality stuff, less if you browse the cesspool that is facebook market. It's the best investment in your health you will ever make.

I like to tell people "Having a home gym is a great investment! I could lift naked. I don't, but I could... and there's a special freedom in that."