starting strength gym
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Thoughts on Pitbulls?

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Ok. So we’re all pretty much agreed on the stats. Pit bull type breeds make up maybe 5-10% of dogs in America and do about 60-70% of bad attacks and killings. And agreed on the basic physiology of them being fighting dogs with impressive biting strength. they are thus inherently a relatively dangerous animal to keep around. Orders of magnitude more dangerous than other dog breeds.

Saying dog fighting breeds tend to fight other dogs and not humans is a serious leap in logic. And all of the statistics argue against this, as they literally attack people at hugely disproportionate rates.

This is definitely something that should be kept in mind when picking a dog breed if you live near other people and in particular children.

Original poster- if you need a dog to guard your impound lot and he’s going to just be in the impound and not interacting with people it could be a good breed.
    If you are just a regular person in the suburbs I would say that it’s a ridiculous level of risk to take.

I am Not saying you shouldn’t be allowed to have them. Just that we should be honest here.

I’d also support some rules about muzzling them in public and maybe having some sort of licence. Obviously the licensing would be a bit useless but would probably put off the worst people from getting them.

Also personally I wouldn’t keep one in my house with kids for a million bucks.

This isn’t like gun ownership where it’s an inanimate object. Even with perfect training and ownership it’s still an animal. Could go off at any time. More equivalent to having an automated gun turret or something. Probly gonna malfunction every once in a while

Quote Originally Posted by zinedine kilbane View Post
    There is no counter argument against it other than “my betsie here is a good old girl who would never bite anyone”.
    People in balaclavas commit more robberies than people in sun hats.

Is the issue the headgear? Or the person?

starting strength coach development program
    At the site south of me where I had to work for a week or so out of the month before I retired last month, and is known as the meth capital of SW Missouri, I encountered many pit bulls, and with only a few exceptions most were the most loveable and friendly animals I've ever found. A couple would follow you around for several blocks like the dog was my best friend and would always try jumping in my truck to go for a ride. The few that were bad, the owners were worse, so I was already on guard for them since Liberty Utilities didn't allow us to arm or protect ourselves.

In those two years, there were some close near-attacks, and they weren't pit bulls. But the one actual attack that truly scared me and I just barely avoided injury was from a rottweiler. Fortunately I had my walking stick - a water meter stick with a bent knife edge nail on the end - and got away at the last minute only by swinging and fortunately cutting the dog; it never bothered me after that. But IMO that is one truly bad breed, and I can't remember meeting one that out of habit was truly nice to strangers. But by and large, pit bulls get a bad rep.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456