starting strength gym
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Thought's on Pitbulls?

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    In the absence of a policy that bans dumb humans (which I would support) I think a blanket law allowing the ownership of potentially dangerous animals (a function of that breeds tendency to bite and the ability to cause significant damage if it does) needs to be carefully considered.

The widespread ownership of "staffies" (staff bull terriers) amongst some of the more feral humans in the UK to enhance their image as a thug has lead to a lot of dangerous and often lethal facial injuries.

Quote Originally Posted by zinedine kilbane View Post
    America's Most Dangerous Dog Breeds [Infographic]
    Animals are dumb and thus prone to violence. Pit bulls are much more effective at violence than other breeds due to their size and bite strength.
    For me, this is the main issue. The UK has a problem with XL Bullies (not Pitbulls, I know). It's a two part issue. Part one is these dogs are naturally extremely strong and aggressive. Part two, is that basically the only people that want them are fucking morons, who obviously only want them because they are strong and aggressive. As a result we've had many stories of children, old ladies, and fully grown men being killed by out of control XL Bullies.

I am also drawn to the bulldog breeds and I think they are magnificent animals. I always wanted a Staffordshire Bull Terrier, so I get it. But we currently have two silly white lap dogs and now I've had them I don't see the need to have a pitbull, XL Bully, or any remotely dangerous dog when there are so many breeds to pick from. When you boil it down to what you want from a dog, there is nothing you can get from a bulldog breed that isn't found in another breed except the look and the strength/aggression. That's not to say that other big dog breeds can't be dangerous but there should be a limit. I see it like gun control (and probably just as contentious) but arguably, you don't need a belt fed M60 for "home protection" in the same way you don't need a pitbull etc. as a home companion. I could be the shittiest dog owner in the world and my two dogs could barely hurt a squirrel or cat, let alone a person.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Al_Orange View Post
    For me, this is the main issue. The UK has a problem with XL Bullies (not Pitbulls, I know). It's a two part issue. Part one is these dogs are naturally extremely strong and aggressive. Part two, is that basically the only people that want them are fucking morons, who obviously only want them because they are strong and aggressive. As a result we've had many stories of children, old ladies, and fully grown men being killed by out of control XL Bullies.
    And how many of those stories are true?

But we currently have two silly white lap dogs and now I've had them I don't see the need to have a pitbull, XL Bully, or any remotely dangerous dog when there are so many breeds to pick from. When you boil it down to what you want from a dog, there is nothing you can get from a bulldog breed that isn't found in another breed except the look and the strength/aggression. That's not to say that other big dog breeds can't be dangerous but there should be a limit. I see it like gun control (and probably just as contentious) but arguably, you don't need a belt fed M60 for "home protection" in the same way you don't need a pitbull etc. as a home companion.
    You Brits are an amazing bunch of folk, as wal would say. Who do you let determine your "needs"? The King?

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234