starting strength gym
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on Pitbulls?

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    In the absence of a policy that bans dumb humans (which I would support) I think a blanket law allowing the ownership of potentially dangerous animals (a function of that breeds tendency to bite and the ability to cause significant damage if it does) needs to be carefully considered.

The widespread ownership of "staffies" (staff bull terriers) amongst some of the more feral humans in the UK to enhance their image as a thug has lead to a lot of dangerous and often lethal facial injuries.

Quote Originally Posted by zinedine kilbane View Post
    America's Most Dangerous Dog Breeds [Infographic]
    Animals are dumb and thus prone to violence. Pit bulls are much more effective at violence than other breeds due to their size and bite strength.
    For me, this is the main issue. The UK has a problem with XL Bullies (not Pitbulls, I know). It's a two part issue. Part one is these dogs are naturally extremely strong and aggressive. Part two, is that basically the only people that want them are fucking morons, who obviously only want them because they are strong and aggressive. As a result we've had many stories of children, old ladies, and fully grown men being killed by out of control XL Bullies.

I am also drawn to the bulldog breeds and I think they are magnificent animals. I always wanted a Staffordshire Bull Terrier, so I get it. But we currently have two silly white lap dogs and now I've had them I don't see the need to have a pitbull, XL Bully, or any remotely dangerous dog when there are so many breeds to pick from. When you boil it down to what you want from a dog, there is nothing you can get from a bulldog breed that isn't found in another breed except the look and the strength/aggression. That's not to say that other big dog breeds can't be dangerous but there should be a limit. I see it like gun control (and probably just as contentious) but arguably, you don't need a belt fed M60 for "home protection" in the same way you don't need a pitbull etc. as a home companion. I could be the shittiest dog owner in the world and my two dogs could barely hurt a squirrel or cat, let alone a person.

Quote Originally Posted by Al_Orange View Post
    For me, this is the main issue. The UK has a problem with XL Bullies (not Pitbulls, I know). It's a two part issue. Part one is these dogs are naturally extremely strong and aggressive. Part two, is that basically the only people that want them are fucking morons, who obviously only want them because they are strong and aggressive. As a result we've had many stories of children, old ladies, and fully grown men being killed by out of control XL Bullies.
    And how many of those stories are true?

But we currently have two silly white lap dogs and now I've had them I don't see the need to have a pitbull, XL Bully, or any remotely dangerous dog when there are so many breeds to pick from. When you boil it down to what you want from a dog, there is nothing you can get from a bulldog breed that isn't found in another breed except the look and the strength/aggression. That's not to say that other big dog breeds can't be dangerous but there should be a limit. I see it like gun control (and probably just as contentious) but arguably, you don't need a belt fed M60 for "home protection" in the same way you don't need a pitbull etc. as a home companion.
    You Brits are an amazing bunch of folk, as wal would say. Who do you let determine your "needs"? The King?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    And how many of those stories are true?
    ?
    Honest question but are you aware of some other evidence that leads you to believe they’re safe? Or is it just personal preference? Or you knew one once and it was nice?

Because the arguments against them:
    1. First principle analysis of the risk of a large dog bred for fighting
    2. All of the statistics showing they cause a massively disproportionate amount of serious injuries, maimings and deaths

Seem very convincing. And there hasn’t been any real counter argument here. Maybe there’s other statistics I’m not aware of?

As an n=1 anecdote I also had a friend who had a very well trained pit bull. It tore his wife’s cat to pieces one day while he was at work.

To me, if the dog could potentially have any interaction with children or other animals you are a reckless asshole for having a needlessly dangerous dog.

If you live in the mountains by yourself go for it

Quote Originally Posted by Al_Orange View Post
    you don't need a belt fed M60 for "home protection"
    If you mounted one on your roof or similarly elevated position you wouldn't have to worry about people stealing packages off your porch. Or Pitbulls.

Back on topic, if Pitbulls aren't the ones actually doing the attacks. Why is it always Dog's that look like Pitbulls doing the attacking then?

2. All of the statistics showing they cause a massively disproportionate amount of serious injuries, maimings and deaths
    1. Bred for fighting other dogs, which is seldom done with any of the pit bulls you have seen.
    2. Please show us all these statistics.

Quote Originally Posted by Subby View Post
    Why is it always Dog's that look like Pitbulls doing the attacking then?
    You mean, dogs with very short hair? All dogs with short hair that attack people in the stories on TV and in the paper are pit bulldogs? Because the media would never misrepresent anything? How many of these attacks have you seen in person?

Honest question but are you aware of some other evidence that leads you to believe they’re safe? Or is it just personal preference? Or you knew one once and it was nice?

Seem very convincing. And there hasn’t been any real counter argument here. Maybe there’s other statistics I’m not aware of?

As an n=1 anecdote I also had a friend who had a very well trained pit bull. It tore his wife’s cat to pieces one day while he was at work.

To me, if the dog could potentially have any interaction with children or other animals you are a reckless asshole for having a needlessly dangerous dog.

51 people were killed by a pit bull in America in 2021, while there is estimated to be up to 18 million pit bulls in the country. I’m not sure that ratio is worthy of the response they get

You do know that any dog is capable of biting right? I have a spaniel and occasionally they have been known to have issues being startled from sleep and attacking. Are they needlessly dangerous?

They're a bird dog so they are potentially dangerous to other animals. Should they be banned to avoid any possible risk?

I'm sorry about your friend's wife's cat. It's a good thing nobody likes cats.

How far do you want to go with control of people's choices? Are you pro mandatory vaccination? Lockdowns?

At the end of the day a dog is a dog and all dogs have jaws and teeth. Small dogs are worse than big dogs because they have jealousy issues, and Pitbulls are not even that large.

Pitbulls are the most popular dog breed in the US. There is a reason for this: they are very sweet boys and girls. There are also a lot of them. If you are afraid, run away!! I will not be deterred.

starting strength coach development program
    “arguably, you don't need a belt fed M60 for "home protection" in the same way you don't need a pitbull etc. as a home companion”

I’ve never felt more American than when the sporting goods chain store person asked me, how many of those Mosin Nagants do you need, and I thought, well I don’t even “need” one so I guess I’ll take two.

(You can “okay boomer” me all you want but maybe show me how to quote a prior comment please.)

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast