starting strength gym
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on Pitbulls?

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenni View Post
    Good post but dang we using a lot of words in this thread to avoid the class and IQ conversation. Life is just cheaper to some people and it shows in the care they give their children and their pets.

I would love to see other stats. Of the children killed how many were known to CPS type agencies? How many times had they been left alone in an apartment or car? The most recent story I recall was a couple who left the 3 month old in the attic with the two dogs while they went to smoke weed. The baby was "found unresponsive". Did the dogs kill the baby? Or did being left in a hot ass attic in August kill the baby?
    Ha, I really was trying to avoid the iq angle alright.

Was more thinking of comparing different dog breeds to different groups of people with different IQs who also do a lot more murders. Don’t think we want to go there though. Could get this whole forum cancelled.

Quote Originally Posted by Phill View Post
    Bit rusty on probability but more pulls on the slot machine doesn't increase your chance of hitting the jackpot.
    Sure it does. It just doesn't change the probability per pull that you will, and that's assuming a truly random result each time. The definitional issue here is, what constitutes a pull of the arm? Is it just existing, or is it having a single human-dog interaction? And are all the interactions identical?

Quote Originally Posted by Ramus View Post
    Zinnie,

Have you ever owned and lived with a pitbull, or any dog?
    He's just not going to answer that. And this really is a pointless thread.

Quote Originally Posted by franklie View Post
    are the breeds of dogs trained to fight other dogs good in fighting coyotes?
    The answer is: no, they mostly only excel at fighting other dogs; not other animals in general.

Hey Zinnie, have you ever seen a donkey deal with a coyote or a dog? Look that up.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Hey Zinnie, have you ever seen a donkey deal with a coyote or a dog? Look that up.
    Donkeys do a terrific job with coyotes.
    I am not understanding the connection here.
    I have never seen or heard of anyone using pit bulls to take care of coyote problems or for fighting/hunting non-dog animals; there are breeds better suited to these jobs.

Are pit bulls effective for managing donkey problems or wild boar or something else I am unaware of?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Not sure what a 200kg donkey kicking a 30kg dog to death has to do with anything.
    Suppose if you’re Eddie hall with some gloves and steel toe boots you’ll be able to bash a dog/coyote easy enough?
    Googling this did reveal that some people use donkeys as guard animals for sheep though which I enjoyed. I hadn’t appreciated how aggressive donkeys are. I’ll probably be a bit more careful around them in future 😂.

Yeah, I have a dog. Very energetic medium sized mongrel. Doesn’t have the bite strength/disposition to be high risk. I’m still careful with him around kids though as he’s likely to charge through them and barrel them over.

Only experience with a dangerous dog is a mates one that tore his cat to bits. It was generally a nice dog the other 99% of the time. That 1% is pretty bad though. In comparison all experience of people with non dangerous dogs has been 100% good.

Think the statistical analysis above is a lot more important than my opinion/limited experience. But after looking at this my opinion on pitbulls is still:
    Grand if you own a scrap yard and need a guard dog.

If you’re just a regular person in the suburbs you’re taking unnecessary risks just to look cool. Like keeping a loaded shotgun in your window instead of in a safe. Or like drink driving regularly or something

Your opinion is wrong, Zinedine.
    And Pitbulls are useless guard dogs. Too friendly.

Quote Originally Posted by zinedine kilbane View Post
    Like keeping a loaded shotgun in your window instead of in a safe.
    Bless your heart.

starting strength coach development program
    He's just precious!

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast