starting strength gym

Thread: Yes - Low Back Question

Default Yes - Low Back Question

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    6’ … 217 lbs. 51 y/o. Intermediate Lifter (5s - 365 squat, 395 dead, 240 bench, 185 press). At 18 I had a low back injury from poor form squatting, that at 51 has me with disc degeneration on 2 discs in my lower back. No pain in legs, no numbness, but as I’ve aged - I can basically expect that I’ll be fighting my lower back going out after most every squat and dead lift workout. The doctor is a good one, just gives me pain pills and says ‘wait it out, stretch’ which I do. Usually don’t take any Ibuprofen unless it gets in a bad spot, and reserve the real medication for a severe episode which just puts me on my back in bed (been about every 4 years). At this point, it has been a 9 year run where my back seizes up and drops me down/out of training for 1-3 weeks 4-5 times per year. I stretch 3xs weekly just to keep the hips and back loose, and walk 30 minutes 2-4 times per week. I run a business in finance so the job is sedentary but focused and can get intense.

Have read through the threads over the years, and manage with ibuprofen and stretching as a result. Just figured I’d ask out loud, as you all have aged, any thoughts that have helped any of you manage chronic back pain and training beyond what I’m doing? Thanks for any thoughts.

Are you doing situps? Wearing the right belt? Why are you stretching? Post a video of your squat and deadlift.