starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My Back Sucks // Recovery Questions

• starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Quote Originally Posted by asm44 View Post
    Usually I agree with everything you say, Maybach, but I think this guy's issue is he just doesn't know how to try. Those squats are far from a limit set. A 265x5 squat at 5'9/185 has little to do with eating. Those are woman numbers.

I don't know, maybe it just can't be taught. I get that most people don't eat enough (myself included), but most people don't really try either, even though they think they are.
    The not eating enough is what is causing him to feel all sore and beat up after a set of sub 300 deadlifts.

Those ARE woman numbers. Which means that if doing those lifts is making you feel sore and beat up, the problem is you aren't recovering. The fact that he lost ten pounds without thinking about it means food is a likelier culprit than sleep.

lol, if you can't figure out how to fix your knees, as I mentioned in #5 above, then you can't drive your ass up hard out of the bottom, because you're lifting your chest, not your hips. This has been addressed so many times that it really gets tiresome to see it posted again. ASM is right about effort, but you're squatting in a way that limits your ability to drive the bar up hard -- you're doing the high-bar version. This is back-angle/hip-drive related, very fundamental stuff. Come to a seminar, and I can fix it in about 5 minutes.

Fine, I'll come to a seminar. "Shove your knees out" is the usual knee-related advice. I hear you coach. It's the Deadlift that's causing me problems, but I will work on that as well.

Hopefully you'll come back to eastern Canada soon. If now I'll see what works short of going to beautiful Wichita falls.

I will never be in Eastern Canada again.

But Canada needs you the most! There's a lot of people that could benefit from being stronger and having more grit out here.

starting strength coach development program
    That's your job.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12