starting strength gym

Thread: Training for Explosiveness

Default Training for Explosiveness

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Recently I was chatting with a colleague about training & the subject of training for explosiveness came up they claimed to train for explosiveness one must push a given weight harder. The training example that was given was Bench press at a weight of 315, essentially bouncing the bar off the chest to be "explosive". I could not fathom how this method of trained could be productive and explained my point of view that I believed the most effective way to be explosive/"train for explosiveness is to train up to 405 (or something higher than 315). Logically if you can move 405 as a maximal load the speed at witch 315 moves would be higher than it previously was with 315 being your max. Even lets say 405 was your max bench trying to push 315 "explosively" would to me seem to have even less use.

Another day the conversation was around "functional" training. I had said was of no use either. Example throwing a medicine ball at a wall over your head. I said your time would be better spent doing shoulder press for upper body development instead of some bull shit ball toss cardio program disguised as weight training, the response was "depends on what your goals are I guess" Which is the response I get from most people when discussing starting strength methods. However most seem to do cardio disguised as weight training.

Through running a NLP I have seen far greater strength gains than I could have imagined I recommend bar bell lifts, & 5 lbs. a workout to anyone who will listen.

Am I correct in my above understanding of training?

What is the data showing an improvement in any 'explosiveness" parameter using this type of training?

If you want to train for explosiveness you should study chemistry.

"improved athletic performance" is what I was told the coach in question does have quite a few Olympic gold medal athletes. Although I would argue it was in spite of some of these methods not because of.
    A Crash Course on the Bondarchuk Training System | by Stephen Hart | Medium brief description of some of his methods.

It is apparently impossible for most people to understand that Elite Coaches attract Elite Athletes, not normal schlubs like you and me, and that their odd coaching has little to do with the athlete's success. For example, if you refuse to coach anybody with less than a 2000-pound total, all your lifters are very strong.