starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Texas method 6x a week(upper/lower day)

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveJF View Post
    TM works best for young guys who can usually sleep 8+ hrs per night, consistently eat a large nutritious calorie surplus and don't have circumstances that even occasionally might get in the way of recovery.

So dads working full time (especially a physical job) might be better suited with some other intermediate programming found in PPST3. Hopefully others in the same circumstance will chime in with what they've had good results from.
    I am 26 and don't work a physical job and I eat a lot, since I was trying to bulk up on SS (and gained about 25lbs), I also would never miss a day if I could do it 6x a week since I can block out 85 minutes per day no issues. but I will look into the other intermediate programs since it appears splitting it is not viable solution.

Quote Originally Posted by smokeyjones View Post
    6 days a week would be rough recovery wise. & also eat up your time in a different way. You'd go from having 4 flexible nights a week to only 1.

I'm not the expert but if it was me: 3 days where you cap it out at 1.30 or 1.45 hours & arrange your time differently. If you really could only spend an hour a day than imo: 4 days > 5 days > 6 days.
    I am a boring guy so I don't need the flexibility if I can make better gains doing the TM like this, but I also don't want to spin my gears and spend 6days in the gym if I would be better off doing a 4day routine. I could push it to 75 maybe 85 minutes (on occasion) if need be. I don't mind the time, I just want to make sure the recovery would be OK, but it appears it would not be.

Quote Originally Posted by huskers1998 View Post
    Yes and all of the programs in there(that I can recall for intermediates) were 3 or 4 day routines.
    Eliminate the light work from this and you have a 4 day program. The light day is only necessary when bridging the gap between Monday and Friday. There is no point in pushing your medium days further in the week to "make room" for two light days.

Quote Originally Posted by huskers1998 View Post
    I am only 26 so I don't think I'm to old for it, its the time issue since I need only get 75 maybe 85 minutes top per day at the gym. I will look into HLMS.
    Yeah I get that, but 26 isn’t 18-22. You have kids now, things are different. I’m 33 and once outside pressures began to pile up in my mid 20s I had to move things around with my training a little bit. If you want hlm info the barbell prescription is awesome for this, or Andy baker has templates you can buy on his website. But like said above, the 4 day split is closest to what you are doing now that is sustainable

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Maybach View Post
    Eliminate the light work from this and you have a 4 day program. The light day is only necessary when bridging the gap between Monday and Friday. There is no point in pushing your medium days further in the week to "make room" for two light days.
    But if I do that there still is the same number of days between my volume and intensity days. I wouldn't be pushing anything further into the week.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnsonville View Post
    Yeah I get that, but 26 isn’t 18-22. You have kids now, things are different. I’m 33 and once outside pressures began to pile up in my mid 20s I had to move things around with my training a little bit. If you want hlm info the barbell prescription is awesome for this, or Andy baker has templates you can buy on his website. But like said above, the 4 day split is closest to what you are doing now that is sustainable
    You are right. I will look into those 2 options. Thank you.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12