starting strength gym

Thread: Running Back with 705# Deadlift; Harder to Kill?

Default Running Back with 705# Deadlift; Harder to Kill?

• starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Yeah, the NFL is woke and rigged, but I think these Lions have some grit, and i still enjoy watching them, as I have for many years.

David Montgomery has talked about how strength training saved him from depression, and he appears to be enjoying running the football!

Controller Disconnects Mid Game #nfl #timboyle #footballshorts #football #footballskills #ncaa25 - YouTube

Harder to tackle, obviously.

That 705 was done on a trap bar.

Knowing this forum's collective dislike of the trap bar, I figure I may as well break it to y'all now.

Lazy coaches. A pervasive problem.

The trap bar is a bad strength training tool, and perhaps so bad that it stresses the definition of strength training to its limit. But you are still in fact producing force against external resistance.

The reason it's so offensive is because the coaches doing this have such a claim to the time to athletically gifted individuals that basically the only benefit that could in any universe be attributed to the trap bar (it is easier to use and coach) is essentially wasted. It's a snow tires in summer situation where the tires are also bald. And the chains are made of plastic.

The NFL S+C never seems to adopt this as an ethos but repeatedly players who do work in the weight room do impressive things on the field, and then guys who lose a lot of weight and do "speed work" and "cross training" get their brains turned into scrambled eggs.

Quote Originally Posted by dalan View Post
    That 705 was done on a trap bar.

Knowing this forum's collective dislike of the trap bar, I figure I may as well break it to y'all now.
    I have no idea how a trap bar’s load correlates with that of a standard deadlift bar. However, I’d be happy if I could ROLL one weighing 705#.

But I’m happy to keep training with more conventional equipment. Besides my wife would kill me if I I bought one more bar!

I guess I’m destined to never be an NFL RB.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Maybach View Post
    The trap bar is a bad strength training tool, and perhaps so bad that it stresses the definition of strength training to its limit. But you are still in fact producing force against external resistance.

The reason it's so offensive is because the coaches doing this have such a claim to the time to athletically gifted individuals that basically the only benefit that could in any universe be attributed to the trap bar (it is easier to use and coach) is essentially wasted. It's a snow tires in summer situation where the tires are also bald. And the chains are made of plastic.

The NFL S+C never seems to adopt this as an ethos but repeatedly players who do work in the weight room do impressive things on the field, and then guys who lose a lot of weight and do "speed work" and "cross training" get their brains turned into scrambled eggs.
    Yes, I watched the video and the trap bar was blocked out by the captions, it looked different from other trap bars I've seen, didn't catch that at first.

You're right though, these naturally gifted athletes might be even better if they or their coaches have a conversation with Rip.

Last night, the Lions top defensive tackle (#1 in the NFL), went out with a really scary looking lower leg injury; it looked like relatively incidental contact on his teammate's leg nearly ripped his tibia in half, and he's a big strong player.

Never saw anything like it before; hoping he's young and strong enough for a healthy recovery.