starting strength gym

Thread: Maintaining Consistency

Default Maintaining Consistency

• starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    • starting strength seminar april 2025
    Rip, I've been following your methods since early 2014. I'm 61 now. My best lifts were about 5 years ago:
    Squat 320x1
    Deadlift 380x3
    Bench 195x3
    Press 135x1
    I really grinded and worked my ass off for every ounce I ever added to the bar. When I first started I was motivated by the numbers. Just trying to get that 3 plate squat, or 4 plate deadlift.

My biggest problem, and the basis for my question, is inconsistency, gaps in my training, not attributable to anything specific. Poor motivation, or laziness, or physical/mental exhaustion, or depression, being a pussy, whatever it is, I constantly have weeks long gaps in my training. This has been a constant over the last 10 years. It's almost as though I have to let all the accumulated fatigue dissipate.

Have you ever experienced this, or seen it in any of your trainees?

Basically what I'n doing now after a gap is quickly run my squat up to 135, 185, 225, and my deadlift from 185, 225, 275, using a 4 day split, and then 5 lbs a session from there, and similar with the pressing movements. But I always hit a point where I hit a gap. Am I over training, should I lighten up the regimen with more light medium days?

I find listening to your podcast, and reading your forum posts helps keep me immersed and actively thinking of training, which helps. Am I just being a pussy? What else helps drive discipline or motivation, how can I improve?

In the past ~50 years, I haven't had more than a 2-week layoff. If I don't train -- at some level -- I just don't feel right. Guilt is stronger within me than laziness. Your approach is probably healthier.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    In the past ~50 years, I haven't had more than a 2-week layoff. If I don't train -- at some level -- I just don't feel right. Guilt is stronger within me than laziness. Your approach is probably healthier.
    Thanks, I appreciate the perspective, that's a pretty good training record. I definitely feel better when I train, and I feel much better about myself too. The guilt is there when I don't, and I do always go back to it.

I might need to be more conscious about alternating deadlifts with a less stressful pulling movement earlier in my training, I tend to stubbornly stick with heavy deadlifts for every session, greedily pursuing gains, and while it hasn't caused missed reps, it's probably causing more fatigue than necessary, leading to missed sessions.

Quote Originally Posted by John Watson View Post
    Thanks, I appreciate the perspective, that's a pretty good training record. I definitely feel better when I train, and I feel much better about myself too. The guilt is there when I don't, and I do always go back to it.

I might need to be more conscious about alternating deadlifts with a less stressful pulling movement earlier in my training, I tend to stubbornly stick with heavy deadlifts for every session, greedily pursuing gains, and while it hasn't caused missed reps, it's probably causing more fatigue than necessary, leading to missed sessions.
    So do this. Both books stress that deadlifts every session are only going to last a couple of weeks even for a brand new to training rank novice.

Consider the benefits of hiring a coach. Programming. Helping manage recovery. Accountability.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Jdcuth View Post
    So do this. Both books stress that deadlifts every session are only going to last a couple of weeks even for a brand new to training rank novice.
    Yes, you are correct. I'm probably burning myself out. I have trouble identifying excess fatigue. Since I'm 61 I've been starting with the 4 day split, only doing two squat and two deadlift sessions per week, and doing "heavy" deadlifts both days. I should alternate chinups and deadlifts, or some other light pull.

Quote Originally Posted by HailMary View Post
    Consider the benefits of hiring a coach. Programming. Helping manage recovery. Accountability.
    I've had great results with online coaching. Having others do my programming for me is invaluable. Accountability was a definite plus.
    I'm wintering on the beach in Mexico, so online coaching is probably the only option.

(If Kammie Harris wins I might just stay here. I got legal residency.)