starting strength gym
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Drink Your Milk

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    I suppose training for 2 hours+ might be a little different. Though I would think a snickers or 4 might work better? Meh.

Quote Originally Posted by Sami View Post
    Milk during the session cannot have a physiological effect. Psychological, evidently.
    Of course it has a physiological effect. It's not going to build any muscle for you during your workout, but milk provides water, sugar, fat, and protein. Those will absolutely produce a response from your body, even if that is just keeping you from feeling hungry.

On reflection, I was neither clear nor 100% accurate in my post. I meant more that taking swigs of milk between sets isn't going to drive the next set. It simply cannot act that fast. Also, a significant volume of blood has been diverted from the GI tract to the muscles.

But I also forgot to consider who I was talking to, Gary. He's doing Smolov cycles (I think) and is in the gym for more than a couple of hours most likely. And yes, keeping from feeling hungry is probably very significant.

However, if the average novice SS trainee is well fed before going into the gym, I see no reason to down half a gallon of milk in the 45-60 minutes they'll be there.

Quote Originally Posted by Sami View Post
    On reflection, I was neither clear nor 100% accurate in my post. I meant more that taking swigs of milk between sets isn't going to drive the next set. It simply cannot act that fast. Also, a significant volume of blood has been diverted from the GI tract to the muscles.
    That's very true. I understand what you are getting at now.

But I also forgot to consider who I was talking to, Gary. He's doing Smolov cycles (I think) and is in the gym for more than a couple of hours most likely. And yes, keeping from feeling hungry is probably very significant.

However, if the average novice SS trainee is well fed before going into the gym, I see no reason to down half a gallon of milk in the 45-60 minutes they'll be there.
    I've been struggling to get through my deadlifts on Mondays with the Texas Method. I am considering having some milk early in the session to see if that helps an hour or more down the line.

starting strength coach development program
    Deadlift is the one lift that I don't think I could with anything in my stomach. I just feel like I'm going to pop. I even get nervous about drinking too much water in the session for fear of my deadlift at the end.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345