starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Back Pain while trying to sleep.

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Stick a pillow between your legs if you sleep on your side.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Dastardly View Post
    Lying on Side and stomach are actually the worst affected. This is especially annoying as they are my favourite way to sleep.

I made a crappy drawing for you on an online app to show you what I mean:

When lying on side my mid section sinks downward as my hips and upper body are both wider. This causes spine to bend sideways producing strain and pain.

When lying on front the hips are usually half twisted with one leg to the side. (does anyone lie totally flat on their front?) this produces a rotational strain in addition to the bending strain.

Lying on back, especially with rolled up sweater under lumbar area has proven to be the most comfortable. The problem is I cannot sleep like this and end up going to side/front.
    Sorry to chime in again but this is the exact same problem I had. I sleep on my stomach or side, can't fall asleep on my back, and used to experience the same sag-related pain. Had no luck with the pillow trick for side sleeping, although a thin one under my side seemed to help a bit. If you're poor, rotate your mattress and stick a board underneath it for added support, then see how stomach sleeping feels. For side sleeping try a memory foam top. It does a good job of letting the hips and shoulders sink in deeper than the waist and reduces much of the sag effect. I find the combination of hard mattress(less sagging) and foam top to be worth the investment. I don't wake up aching any more.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12