starting strength gym
Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: You must eat big, or you're a pussy!!!

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Regarding weight gain while lifting whether muscle or fat effects your organs. if normal you is 150 and you add 50 lbs it stresses your organs. they gotta work harder with the added weight.

Quote Originally Posted by nisora33 View Post
    Okay, now that I've gotten the obligatory macho chest-thumping out of the way...

I'm putting this in the “Recovery” subforum because dietary habits determine, in part, the quality and extent of one's recovery (Stef, feel free to move this post if you disagree).

On to the "meat" of the post (hehe):

There is an ongoing "tension" between those who'd prefer not to eat big, fearing the negative health consequences and dreaded fat gain, and those who are "all for it," arguing that massive overfeeding over the short term has little impact on long-term health, while the boost to strength alone is worth any accompanying fat gain. Neither camp apparently understands the opposite’s view and every time the issue is brought up, it leads to inevitable shit-throwing (don’t get me wrong, I enjoy flinging shit as much as the next lifter).

I sympathize with the fellas who dig eating big, and don’t mind the fat gain, who crave the performance enhancement that goes along with it, etc. Because I took myself from 165 to 220 using GOMAD and other food (much of it “dirty”), consuming around 5,000-5,500 calories a day, understanding that eating of this nature wasn’t “forever.” So I don’t exactly feel partial to those of you out there who won’t just buckle down and commit to wild overfeeding, even though I can sort of understand where you’re coming from.

What’s the point of all this? In particular, I want to address the point of view that overeating and massive consumption of “dirty” foods containing high levels of saturated and trans fats plus carbs is unhealthy. Now, I’ve never argued that one should eat this way for all of one’s life, for the record, but I feel very, very strongly that short-term eating of this variety will not negatively impact your health.

Three months after starting GOMAD and “overeating,” I went by my doctor’s office for a routine check-up. He remarked on how much weight I’d gained, asked me why it had happened, and I explained to him my desire to get stronger and how I was going about accomplishing this. The gallon of whole milk raised a red flag for him, and he speculated that my blood test might come back showing elevated blood cholesterol levels. He wasn’t entirely dismissive of what I was doing, I should add, so long as I wasn’t doing this for the rest of my life. Long story short, my blood cholesterol appeared to be at normal, healthy levels, according to the tests.

This made me think about that movie Supersize Me, where the filmmaker basically did to his liver with fast food what drinkers do with alcohol by consuming McDonald’s food three times a day. In food debates, I’ve had folks bring up the documentary to illustrate just how bad junk food can be for you. And I agree with them. However, what few people remember about the film is its ending, just around the time where he went back for his final physical and blood work before ending his thirty day fast food experiment. Previous blood tests had revealed that his liver enzymes were extremely elevated, but this time, his liver panel showed that the enzymes were starting to return to normal.

Why is that important? I bring this up to illustrate how extremely adaptable and resilient the human body is, at least over the short term. The folks who experience severe negative health consequences from eating this way have usually been doing this to themselves day in and day out for many years. They’re bodies have coped and coped and coped some more, until they can no longer cope. If you’re a skinny fucking bastard, this is not you, and you’re concerns over your health, at least over the short term, are largely unfounded.

My thoughts on my personal situation are this: had I stepped into my doctor’s office a few weeks to a month following the start of GOMAD and fast food dieting, my blood tests may very well have shown elevated cholesterol levels—perhaps my liver panel, had one been taken, might have depticted elevated enzymes. But at the 2 ˝ to three month point, stuff had returned to normal.

My two cents, fuckers.

-Stacey

Check out the movie Fat Head. You will enjoy it.

Quote Originally Posted by TChase76 View Post
    Check out the movie Fat Head. You will enjoy it.
    I just typed this into google, and my preliminary opinion is that it looks awesome.

Here's a link:
    http://www.fathead-movie.com/index.php/about/

Quote Originally Posted by BruteForce View Post
    Back again. Just a question. Why do you think you get stuck there? What are the bodily systems stopping you from gaining quality mass past that point (drug free) Not looking for a "study" posting contest. Just curious.
    There's a lot of interlocking regulatory mechanisms in place from the muscle-level right on up to the brain-level that govern how much tissue mass you can add and how much of excess calories are partitioned into muscle vs. fat tissue.

It's controlled genetically and there's not a lot short of drugs you can do to change it.

PMDL, what are you lifting/how tall are you?

My situation is similar...In high school I was a little over six foot weighing a mere 150 pounds. This progressed throughout most of college, where I dicked around with Crossfit. Then I found SS, started gaining weight. My lifts shot up, my weight sky rocketed, and I weighed in at 185 prior to being forced to cut intake b/c of Air Force fitness standards. When I finally got back into it, I weighed in at 190-195. That was December 2009. Now, I weigh 210, but my instinct says if I keep overfeeding, I'll just see fat gains. My waist has exploded from a 36" to a 38" which has led to me cutting back on eating because of Air Force fitness standards yet again. Thusly, I've watched my caloric intake and cut it down to a more reasonable surplus rather than just eat everything in sight. We'll see how my lifts progress from here.

But I definitely agree with the overall point of this thread. If I hadn't gone a little wild with my eating, if I hadn't found SS and the "radical" philosophy it proposes, I'd still be a skinny kid with nothing but skin on my bones.

Quote Originally Posted by PMDL View Post
    I guess this was a version of the GOMAD or whatever lame-ass acronym you people use.
    Hey!
    What do you mean "you people"?

*burp*

Quote Originally Posted by PMDL View Post
    There's a lot of interlocking regulatory mechanisms in place from the muscle-level right on up to the brain-level that govern how much tissue mass you can add and how much of excess calories are partitioned into muscle vs. fat tissue.

It's controlled genetically and there's not a lot short of drugs you can do to change it.
    Just a hypothesis. What if you kept eating the same foods that you were eating for weight gain, but, changed the pro/carb/fat ratios around, to where you were getting even more protien, more fat, and the same carbs, and threw cardio several times a week. add 1,000 cals to your diet, do substantially more low intensity cardio, and simply see what happens.

Now, I weigh 210, but my instinct says if I keep overfeeding, I'll just see fat gains.
    You're 6ft tall. You can definitely get bigger than 210. Don't be ridiculous.

And what's this shit about not wanting to be breathing heavy just for an extra 10lbs on your lifts? Do some cardio, 120-130BPM, 30-45minutes, several days a week. You'll feel better, sleep better, recover better, and won't be breathing hard and can continue to gain weight.

Quote Originally Posted by blowdpanis View Post
    Just out of curiosity, Stacy, what were the before/after's for your lifts from 165 - 220?
    The numbers at 165 lbs. are drawn from memory, since I didn't keep great records at the time:

Press: 65 lbs. X 5
    Bench: 90 lbs. X 5
    Squat: 90 lbs. X 5
    Deadlift: 115 lbs. X 5

Could have gone heavier with the squat and deadlift, because I remember being very timid with these due to some previous back trouble. The bench and press numbers were in fact balls-out heavy for me.

At the start of last summer, before different road blocks sprang up, I recorded these numbers at a bodyweight of around 220:

Press: 147 X 3, 153 X 1
    Bench: no benching since 1st of last year, continued shoulder shit
    (beginning to think benching just isn't in the cards for me)
    Squat: 290 X 5 (knee shit had been giving me problems for a while, began
    a deadlift-only program earlier in the year)
    Deadlift: 355 X 4, 380 X 1 (alternate grip, unbelted, very high-hipped,
    almost an SLDL--form had shifted without my even realizing it, though comments from PMDL coupled with seeing how other really strong guys pull has me wanting to pull this way, with some deliberate spinal flexion added from now on)
    Hang power clean: 145 X 3 (suck dick at cleans, form always all over the
    place, further aggravates the knee shit, too)

Like I pointed out in another thread, I have to train around lots of niggling aches and pains, scar tissue and such, from previous activities, and sometimes my training is a lot of 1 step forward, two steps back. I'm too dumb and stubborn to stop training for any length of time--I'm not sure that it would make much difference, anyway.

My body fat percentage is around 20 percent right now at a bodyweight of 210, though at 220-223 it could have been as much as 23 percent. I'm happy at my current weight and body composition, though.

-S.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by cjangelo View Post
    You're 6ft tall. You can definitely get bigger than 210. Don't be ridiculous.

And what's this shit about not wanting to be breathing heavy just for an extra 10lbs on your lifts? Do some cardio, 120-130BPM, 30-45minutes, several days a week. You'll feel better, sleep better, recover better, and won't be breathing hard and can continue to gain weight.
    I second that. You could definitely be larger at that height. Added cardio, and decrease the rest periods between your sets and exercises. Keep your heart rate up during your lifting, and do cardio afterwards, and eat 1 or 2 more meals per day.

Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast