starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sleep

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by kittenSmash View Post
    I don't know, I rarely get 8hrs of sleep, maybe on a friday night sometimes. About 6 average. Seems to me (in my experience) that my caloric intake was more important to keep progress going. I would like to sleep more, but I've gotten along fine so far. I can see it making more of a difference as I get older (only 25).
    A lot of older folks sleep a lot less than when they were younger. I think good workout habits will let you sleep more as you age... and I would argue for recovery you actually need more sleep when you get older than you "inexperienced" guys do

Also, I like to be unconscious as much as possible while I'm stuck in this weird place.

Quote Originally Posted by ColoWayno View Post
    A lot of older folks sleep a lot less than when they were younger. I think good workout habits will let you sleep more as you age... and I would argue for recovery you actually need more sleep when you get older than you "inexperienced" guys do

Also, I like to be unconscious as much as possible while I'm stuck in this weird place.
    I'm pretty sure we agree. I was saying that since recovery is harder as one ages, then one would need more sleep to aid in recovery when they get older. I know many sleep less when they get older, but due to less testosterone to help them progress, they probably should sleep more. Or just take steroids. Probably both.
    And where is this wierd place you are stuck? I did not realize Colorado Springs was that unbearable.

Quote Originally Posted by kittenSmash View Post
    I'm pretty sure we agree. I was saying that since recovery is harder as one ages, then one would need more sleep to aid in recovery when they get older. I know many sleep less when they get older, but due to less testosterone to help them progress, they probably should sleep more. Or just take steroids. Probably both.
    And where is this wierd place you are stuck? I did not realize Colorado Springs was that unbearable.
    I'm deployed as a contractor. They tend to send us to horrible (and unmentionable) places. But at least they almost always have gyms!
    Can't wait to get back to CS's.
    And yes, we are agreeing. Don't smash me please.

I was having some problems sleeping lately, (I tend to during summer) I was also a little sleepless from perhaps overtraining somewhat.

Been taking ZMA for 3 days now, can say it has made a significant difference. I went to bed at 3.30am last night (not unusual for me as I cant sleep earlier) and got up automatically at 8am feeling like i had slept for 12 hours. Felt really replenished like id been in a DEEP DEEP sleep.

Usually I can lie-in for hours but still feel like am not properly rested.

I also noticed I am now able to have "power naps" after training/main afternoon meal I can knock myself out for 30-60minutes and get up feeling sharp and supercharged.

It really feels like more than a Placebo.

starting strength coach development program
    Three nights this week I didn't get more than 3-4 hours of sleep. I had to push press a warmup set on overhead press and went 2-3-3 on my sets 10 lbs under my working weight. Yeah...I need to sleep more.

On the bright side, I'm not sleeping because I met a 20 year old with a fan-fucking-tastic little body, and that's really the only reason I made this post.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12